NEWS FEED

Divorces ASKED

20 hours ago

Marriages (Tulsans unless indicated)

20 hours ago

Gunman in Navy Yard rampage was hearing voices He had been treated since August by Veterans Affairs, the officials said.

12 hours ago

Coburn gathers opposition to possible budget response in Congress

By RANDY KREHBIEL World Staff Writer on Sep 13, 2013, at 2:28 AM  Updated on 9/13/13 at 5:42 AM


Sen. Tom Coburn: In a letter Thursday, the Oklahoma Republican made clear his opposition to any federal budget settlement that increases spending above levels authorized in the 2011 Budget Control Act. "We reject the temptation of any short-term political victory that paves the way for bigger debt, bigger borrowing and bigger government," he says.


Local

City refunding QuikTrip's unsold green-waste stickers

The convenience store chain was the sole distributor of the 50-cent stickers residents were required to place on bags of extra yard waste.

Pushups for Tulsa police officer didn't violate man's civil rights, jury says

The plaintiff alleged in a lawsuit that he was made to perform pushups to avoid a ticket or jail.

CONTACT THE REPORTER

Randy Krehbiel

918-581-8365
Email

Congress' already difficult budget negotiations became even more contentious on Thursday as U.S. Sen. Tom Coburn began gathering opposition to any settlement that increases federal spending above levels set down in the 2011 Budget Control Act.

"The Budget Control Act provided a 10-year blueprint to restrain federal spending, accepted in exchange for a $2 trillion increase in the national debt limit," Coburn writes in a letter emailed to the press and circulated to other members of Congress on Friday afternoon.

"Fiscal year 2014 is the last year discretionary spending will actually be reduced as a result of the Budget Control Act," the Oklahoma Republican writes. "After next year, the law allows discretionary spending to once again increase annually. Removing the spending restraints for 2014 would, therefore, make a mockery of the agreement to restrain spending because spending would have only be reduced for one year."

The letter is addressed to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada and House Speaker John Boehner of Ohio. Congress is trying desperately to come up with a way to fund the federal government after current authorization expires on Sept. 30.

The most likely method is through a continuing resolution, which essentially extends current budgets for a specified time. Historically, Coburn has voted against continuing resolutions, so his opposition to this one is not entirely unexpected.

What is significant is his attempt to block any increase in spending levels. That would lock in spending reductions caused by sequestration, unless a separate agreement is reached to give government agencies more leeway in determining how the cuts are achieved.

During town halls last month, Coburn said sequestration, while not an ideal way to reduce government spending, has done so.

"We reject the temptation of any short-term political victory that paves the way for bigger debt, bigger borrowing and bigger government," Coburn's letter says. "Therefore, we absolutely oppose any continuing resolution or appropriations legislation that would increase spending above the levels provided under the Budget Control Act. Furthermore, if Congress cannot keep its word to control spending as agreed to in the bipartisan Budget Control Act, we will not agree to additional increases in the debt limit. We do not need another bipartisan agreement to increase spending and borrowing."

Earlier Thursday, Reid said Boehner appeared to have lost control of House Republicans and that "anarchists" had taken over the lower chamber. Reid said he told Boehner he will not exchange a delay in the implementation of the Affordable Care Act for a budget extension or increase in the debt limit.


Randy Krehbiel 918-581-8365
randy.krehbiel@tulsaworld.com
Original Print Headline: Coburn buckles down on budget
Local

City refunding QuikTrip's unsold green-waste stickers

The convenience store chain was the sole distributor of the 50-cent stickers residents were required to place on bags of extra yard waste.

Pushups for Tulsa police officer didn't violate man's civil rights, jury says

The plaintiff alleged in a lawsuit that he was made to perform pushups to avoid a ticket or jail.

CONTACT THE REPORTER

Randy Krehbiel

918-581-8365
Email

COMMENTS

Join the conversation.

Anyone can post a comment on Tulsa World stories. You can either sign in to your Tulsa World account or use Facebook.

Sign in to your online account. If you don't have an account, create one for free. To comment through Facebook, please sign in to your account before you comment.

Read our commenting policy.


Join the conversation.

Anyone can post a comment on Tulsa World stories.

Sign in to your online account. If you don't have an account, create one for free.

Read our commenting policy.

By clicking "Submit" you are agreeing to our terms and conditions, and grant Tulsa World the right and license to publish the content of your posted comment, in whole or in part, in Tulsa World.