NEWS FEED

Divorces ASKED

3 hours ago

Marriages (Tulsans unless indicated)

3 hours ago

Gunman in Navy Yard rampage was hearing voices He had been treated since August by Veterans Affairs, the officials said.

20 hours ago

Tulsa Club owner Josh Barrett vows to remake historic building

2 hours ago

Creek committee rejects Broken Arrow casino proposal

By SUSAN HYLTON World staff writer on Dec 11, 2012, at 7:03 PM  Updated on 12/12/12 at 4:07 AM


A Muscogee (Creek) Nation committee discusses a proposal for the tribe to take over a controversial Broken Arrow casino project during a meeting Tuesday night in Okmulgee. JAMES GIBBARD/Tulsa World


Local

Medical examiner working to identify six bodies found in Foss Lake

An anthropologist from the office has been at the lake and is returning there today to help gather three more sets of remains to be taken to the Oklahoma City office.

Tulsa school bus involved in crash; no injuries reported


The driver had a suspended license, police said.

CONTACT THE REPORTER

Susan Hylton

918-581-8381
Email

OKMULGEE — A Muscogee (Creek) Nation committee by a 7-2 vote Tuesday night rejected a proposal for the tribe to take over a controversial Broken Arrow casino project.

Florida developer Luis Figueredo urged the committee to approve the proposal, which would have given the tribe 70 percent of the revenues from 475 gaming machines at the yet-to-be-completed Red Clay Casino.

His proposal predicted that a casino in Broken Arrow would not have a great impact on the tribe’s River Spirit Casino in Tulsa, which is preparing to expand with a second phase and a new hotel.

But Pat Crofts, CEO of Muscogee (Creek) Nation Casinos, told the committee that another casino would have a significant impact on River Spirit, where an estimated 28 percent of gamblers come from Broken Arrow.

Originally, the Kialegee Tribal Town was going to lease the property from Creek allotted land owners Marcella Giles and Wynema Capps for the proposed casino at the southwest corner of Florence Street (111th Street) and Olive Avenue (129th East Avenue).

But construction was halted in May when U.S. Chief District Judge Gregory Frizzell ruled that the Kialegee Tribal Town, whose fewer than 450 members are Creek Indians, did not have jurisdiction at the site.

With that court defeat pending in an appeal to the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Denver, Figueredo and Shane Rolls had pitched a new plan in which the Creeks would receive a significant cut of the gaming revenues without having to invest a dime.

They estimate that the casino would generate $15 million to $25 million a year for the tribe.

According to a draft proposal, the landowners would lease the property to the tribe for $450,000 a year for 10 years, which would be paid from the Red Clay Group’s 30 percent share of gaming revenues.

Local

Medical examiner working to identify six bodies found in Foss Lake

An anthropologist from the office has been at the lake and is returning there today to help gather three more sets of remains to be taken to the Oklahoma City office.

Tulsa school bus involved in crash; no injuries reported


The driver had a suspended license, police said.

CONTACT THE REPORTER

Susan Hylton

918-581-8381
Email

COMMENTS

Join the conversation.

Anyone can post a comment on Tulsa World stories. You can either sign in to your Tulsa World account or use Facebook.

Sign in to your online account. If you don't have an account, create one for free. To comment through Facebook, please sign in to your account before you comment.

Read our commenting policy.


Join the conversation.

Anyone can post a comment on Tulsa World stories.

Sign in to your online account. If you don't have an account, create one for free.

Read our commenting policy.

By clicking "Submit" you are agreeing to our terms and conditions, and grant Tulsa World the right and license to publish the content of your posted comment, in whole or in part, in Tulsa World.