Dewey man charged after confrontation at residence
By LAURA SUMMERS World Correspondent on Jul 6, 2013, at 3:59 AM Updated on 7/06/13 at 5:23 AM
Steffen
Bartlesville
A $36.7 million school bond proposal received overwhelming support Tuesday from Bartlesville voters, who approved the district's plan to construct a new ninth-grade center, upgrade middle schools and improve security in all buildings.
An Ochelata man will face trial on a first-degree manslaughter charge involving a September 2012 traffic fatality.
BARTLESVILLE - A Washington County district judge set bail at $350,000 Friday for a Dewey man who is accused of holding two women at gunpoint.
Shawn Allen Steffen, 41, is charged with kidnapping, feloniously pointing a firearm and violating a protective order linked to a hostage situation at 10 p.m. Thursday at a Dewey residence, authorities said.
District Judge Curtis DeLapp ordered Steffen to have no contact with the victims and to return to court Aug. 2.
Steffen had a .45-caliber pistol when he walked through the front door of the home and threatened to kill himself and one of the women, a court affidavit states.
Steffen recently had been served with a protective order filed by one of the victims involving previous threats on her life, her home and local law enforcement officers, the affidavit states.
When the women tried to leave the residence, Steffen stopped them and took away their cellphones to prevent them from calling for help, the affidavit states.
He reportedly told the victims, "If we called the cops, there better be more than two 'cause it's going to be a gun fight," the affidavit states.
The victims eventually got away, and Dewey Police Chief Mike Shea persuaded Steffen to go to the police station for an interview, according to the affidavit.
Steffen denied pointing the gun at the women and told police he had been at the residence to give them money, the affidavit states.
Bartlesville
A $36.7 million school bond proposal received overwhelming support Tuesday from Bartlesville voters, who approved the district's plan to construct a new ninth-grade center, upgrade middle schools and improve security in all buildings.
An Ochelata man will face trial on a first-degree manslaughter charge involving a September 2012 traffic fatality.