NEWS FEED

Divorces ASKED

21 hours ago

Marriages (Tulsans unless indicated)

21 hours ago

Gunman in Navy Yard rampage was hearing voices He had been treated since August by Veterans Affairs, the officials said.

13 hours ago

Fairmont Terrace slaying suspect gets trial date in unrelated robbery, shooting case

By BILL BRAUN World Staff Writer on May 29, 2013, at 2:27 AM  Updated on 5/29/13 at 4:20 AM


James Poore: The Fairmont Ter- race slayings suspect also is accused in a sepa- rate case.


61st and Peoria

Poore brothers bound over for trial in Fairmont Terrace slayings

The Poores next court appearance will be Sept. 23 for an arraignment setting before District Judge William Kellough.

Continuing coverage: Read more about Tulsa's 61st and Peoria neighborhood here.

Testimony in Poores' hearing focuses on crime scene

Witnesses have testified that James Poore said he planned to “pull a lick” and steal drugs and money.

CONTACT THE REPORTER

Bill Braun

918-581-8455
Email

A 2014 trial date was set Tuesday in a robbery and nonfatal shooting case for a Tulsa man who is charged in a separate case with murdering four people.

A Tulsa County judge scheduled a Jan. 13 jury trial for James Stanford Poore, 32, on counts of shooting with an intent to kill and robbery with a firearm.

He is accused of shooting a 21-year-old woman in the knee on Jan. 5 at the Windsail Apartment complex in the 9800 block of East 73rd Street.

In another case, Poore and his brother Cedric Poore, 39, are each charged with four counts of first-degree murder and two counts of robbery with a firearm.

They are accused of murdering Julie Jackson, 55; Misty Nunley, 33; Rebeika Powell, 23; and Kayetie Powell Melchor, 23, at the Fairmont Terrace apartment complex near 61st Street and Peoria Avenue on Jan. 7.

All four women were shot in the head with their hands bound behind their backs, police said.

Prosecutors charged James Poore in both cases on Feb. 21, records show.

Although James Poore now has a trial date in the earlier shooting and robbery case, a preliminary hearing for the brothers in the murder case is scheduled to begin July 15, some seven weeks away.

That hearing had been scheduled for last week but got bogged down by defense efforts - unsuccessful so far - to have the judge assigned to handle the hearing disqualified.

First Assistant District Attorney Doug Drummond indicated that prosecutors plan to take the nonfatal shooting and robbery case against James Poole to trial rather than have that case "trail" in court proceedings behind developments in the quadruple-homicide case.


Bill Braun 918-581-8455
bill.braun@tulsaworld.com

Original Print Headline: Murder suspect's trial set in robbery, shooting
61st and Peoria

Poore brothers bound over for trial in Fairmont Terrace slayings

The Poores next court appearance will be Sept. 23 for an arraignment setting before District Judge William Kellough.

Continuing coverage: Read more about Tulsa's 61st and Peoria neighborhood here.

Testimony in Poores' hearing focuses on crime scene

Witnesses have testified that James Poore said he planned to “pull a lick” and steal drugs and money.

CONTACT THE REPORTER

Bill Braun

918-581-8455
Email

COMMENTS

Join the conversation.

Anyone can post a comment on Tulsa World stories. You can either sign in to your Tulsa World account or use Facebook.

Sign in to your online account. If you don't have an account, create one for free. To comment through Facebook, please sign in to your account before you comment.

Read our commenting policy.


Join the conversation.

Anyone can post a comment on Tulsa World stories.

Sign in to your online account. If you don't have an account, create one for free.

Read our commenting policy.

By clicking "Submit" you are agreeing to our terms and conditions, and grant Tulsa World the right and license to publish the content of your posted comment, in whole or in part, in Tulsa World.