STILLWATER - Oklahoma State will be "drug through the mud," as several OSU officials privately admitted on Monday, but the long-term impact from an NCAA investigation is still very much uncertain.
OSU officials believe there will be a long list of "damaging allegations" in an upcoming series of stories by a national magazine and they vowed there will be a "thorough examination of everything."
OSU coach Mike Gundy and athletic director Mike Holder both spoke briefly to the media during the weekly press conference for Oklahoma State football. The general theme was somber, humble and eager to start investigating allegations in Sports Illustrated stories anticipated this week.
Gundy said he is eager to start reading the stories so that "we'll see where we made mistakes and make ourselves better."
Gundy opened his weekly press conference by reading a statement that indicated he would not make any comments about the allegations.
However, in answer to a question from the Tulsa World at the end of the press briefing, Gundy showed some emotion and said "we're very proud of what we've done here on and off the field."
In addition to Gundy, the press briefing was attended by a handful of OSU officials including Holder, who also spoke briefly to the media.
"We take it personally," said Holder. "We are committed to playing by the rules."
The stories reportedly list wide-ranging accusations from pay-for-play, academic fraud, sex with recruits, poor graduation rates and drug abuse.
Oklahoma State confirmed they were made aware of those accusations during meetings with Sports Illustrated staffers in Stillwater last week.
During those meetings, which were reported to be non-confrontational, Holder vowed the school would investigate all of the allegations in a wide-ranging examination of OSU's football program.
OSU has already hired an independent investigation firm.
In addition, OSU has notified the NCAA of the allegations and sources say the NCAA will be on campus to begin an investigation as early as this week.
Many of the allegations, during a year-long investigation by Sports Illustrated by a team of reporters, date as far back as 1999.
Gundy said on Saturday that from what he knows of the allegations, none are about current players or coaches at Oklahoma State. On Sunday, Gundy said the revelation of the allegations will not be a distraction as the Cowboys prepare to play Lamar on Saturday.
LSU coach Les Miles denied any wrongdoing as OSU coach, saying to a Baton Rouge reporter he always "did things right."
West Virginia assistant coach Joe DeForest, a former OSU assistant, flatly denied any wrongdoing while at Oklahoma State.
A number of former OSU players have been speaking out to reporters and through social media, denying any knowledge of wrongdoing.
Plus, sources indicate some of the former athletes who will be quoted in Sports Illustrated stories have denied they accused OSU of violating rules.
Gundy might be right about none of the allegations involving the current OSU football team or staff. However, the allegations will definitely be a distraction to not only his team but every person connected to Oklahoma State.
OSU is the subject of a huge, unflattering investigative piece by a national magazine. There is no way that can't be a distraction.
Still, the long list of possible misconduct in the OSU football program may be a black eye for OSU but there is still much debate over what or if any will merit NCAA punishment.
That may take years. The investigation of Miami has lingered for three years.
Holder seemed to indicate that OSU was eager to see the allegations and begin dealing with those issues.
"There are some things out there on the horizon that we'll have to deal with," said Holder.
Holder said the fact that he, Gundy and OSU President Burns Hargis are all OSU graduates means "this is more than a job for us."
That will be a factor for OSU in the coming weeks.
"We pride ourselves on doing things the right way," said Holder.
OSU officials are braced for what they believe will be an avalanche of bad publicity in the national media over the next few weeks.
However, OSU officials seem more concerned about the long-term impact of the articles and how to "make it right for everyone associated with this university."
Some OSU officials indicated there will be a number of allegations the university will "contest vigorously" but Holder would also appear committed to admitting to any mistakes.
Holder said he has talked with other Big 12 athletic directors and apologized for the negative publicity that the allegations about OSU will bring to conference members.
Holder also said he has contacted and talked with many OSU season-ticket holders and said he wishes he "could talk to all of them."
OSU is expecting the largest crowd in Boone Pickens Stadium history for Saturday's game against Lamar. In addition, Holder said OSU expects a record number of season tickets to be sold for this season.
OSU, the preseason favorite in the Big 12, is 2-0 and ranked as high as No. 11 in the major national polls.
Make no mistake, there will be more on the minds of that record crowd Saturday night than a football game.
What OSU is alleged to have done and how it deals with it will be the primary topic for months to come.
Original Print Headline: Reports will be big distraction for OSU