NEWS FEED

Divorces ASKED

3 hours ago

Marriages (Tulsans unless indicated)

3 hours ago

Gunman in Navy Yard rampage was hearing voices He had been treated since August by Veterans Affairs, the officials said.

20 hours ago

Tulsa Club owner Josh Barrett vows to remake historic building

2 hours ago

Judge says fireworks sales at Kialegee casino construction site didn't violate court order

By SUSAN HYLTON World Staff Writer on Jul 10, 2012, at 2:28 AM  Updated on 7/10/12 at 6:12 AM



RELATED ITEMS
Read previous stories and key documents about the Kialegees’ efforts to build a casino in Broken Arrow.
Legal

Pushups for Tulsa police officer didn't violate man's civil rights, jury says

The plaintiff alleged in a lawsuit that he was made to perform pushups to avoid a ticket or jail.

Out-of-state prisoner charged in Tulsa double murder brought back to face prosecution

Hilliard Andrew Fulgham is accused of killing Linda Wright, 45, and Dorothy Lindley, 60, in 2006.

CONTACT THE REPORTER

Susan Hylton

918-581-8381
Email

The Kialegee Tribal Town did not violate a court-ordered injunction against the construction of an Indian casino by operating a fireworks stand this summer, a federal judge ruled Monday.

Chief U.S. District Judge Gregory Frizzell said in his order that the injunction prohibited the continued construction for the operation of a casino.

He found that the pouring of a gravel parking lot, which was conducted by the vendor Crazy Debbie's Fireworks, did not violate the injunction.

The property at the southwest corner of Olive Avenue (129th East Avenue) and Florence Street (111th Street) is a Muscogee (Creek) Nation allotment owned by sisters Marcella Giles and Wynema Capps. They have allowed fireworks to be sold on their property in previous years.

Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt contended that the defendants should have been held in contempt for construction activities and using the structure on the property for fireworks sales.

The state reported that crews from Oil Capital Electric were working inside a building east of the casino structure.

The defendants countered that the crews were picking up equipment from an office on the property and were not doing any kind of construction.

Still pending in court is a request by the defense to reconsider the May 18 injunction ruling.

The defendants argue that the Kialegees have jurisdiction on the Creek allotment because Giles and Capps are now enrolled with the tribal town.

In a separate motion that is pending, the defendants are asking the court if they may continue construction at the site for a nongaming purpose such as a sports bar/restaurant or smoke shop.


Susan Hylton 918-581-8381
susan.hylton@tulsaworld.com
Original Print Headline: Judge: Fireworks sales didn't violate court order
RELATED ITEMS
Read previous stories and key documents about the Kialegees’ efforts to build a casino in Broken Arrow.
Legal

Pushups for Tulsa police officer didn't violate man's civil rights, jury says

The plaintiff alleged in a lawsuit that he was made to perform pushups to avoid a ticket or jail.

Out-of-state prisoner charged in Tulsa double murder brought back to face prosecution

Hilliard Andrew Fulgham is accused of killing Linda Wright, 45, and Dorothy Lindley, 60, in 2006.

CONTACT THE REPORTER

Susan Hylton

918-581-8381
Email

COMMENTS

Join the conversation.

Anyone can post a comment on Tulsa World stories. You can either sign in to your Tulsa World account or use Facebook.

Sign in to your online account. If you don't have an account, create one for free. To comment through Facebook, please sign in to your account before you comment.

Read our commenting policy.


Join the conversation.

Anyone can post a comment on Tulsa World stories.

Sign in to your online account. If you don't have an account, create one for free.

Read our commenting policy.

By clicking "Submit" you are agreeing to our terms and conditions, and grant Tulsa World the right and license to publish the content of your posted comment, in whole or in part, in Tulsa World.