NEWS FEED

Divorces ASKED

6 hours ago

Marriages (Tulsans unless indicated)

6 hours ago

Tulsa Club owner Josh Barrett vows to remake historic building

5 hours ago

Tulsa school bus involved in crash; no injuries reported

2 hours ago

Norman minister: Ten Commandments monument breaches barrier

By BARBARA HOBEROCK World Capitol Bureau on Sep 9, 2013, at 2:23 AM  Updated on 9/09/13 at 3:03 AM


A 7-foot-tall granite monument of the Ten Commandments is erected on the north side of the state Capitol grounds. The Oklahoman file


CapitolBureau

Change in state lottery split again suggested

Oklahoma Lottery Commission Executive Director Rollo Redburn on Tuesday sent up a trial balloon for lawmakers.

Tulsan reappointed to state regents board

Parker has served the past seven years on the regents board.

CONTACT THE REPORTER

Barbara Hoberock

405-528-2465
Email

OKLAHOMA CITY - A Baptist minister might seem like an unlikely opponent to a Ten Commandments monument on the state Capitol grounds.

But Bruce Prescott, 61, of Norman says the issue is about separating church and state.

"Most of my concern is that this is another in-your-face attempt by misguided Christians to assert their faith in the public square," he said.

Cheri Franklin, a 65-year-old retired teacher from Enid, said she is challenging the monument for her former students.

"For years, I stood in front of a classroom and talked about rights, citizenship, responsibilities and trying to explain to them if they were ever in a situation where they thought the Constitution was being abused, it was their responsibility to do something about it," Franklin said.

Last month, the American Civil Liberties Union of Oklahoma filed suit in Oklahoma County District Court on behalf of Prescott, Franklin and two other plaintiffs seeking to have the monument removed.

The state has until Friday to file its response.

If Christians want to share their faith, Prescott said, they should do it face-to-face.

"They do not need to try to find ways to dominate the public square and impose their will on everyone else," he said.

Prescott said Baptists have a history of championing both religious liberty and the separation of church and state.

The monument was paid for by a $10,000 donation from Rep. Mike Ritze, R-Broken Arrow, and his family, and $10,000 raised privately. The Capitol Preservation Commission oversaw its placement on the north side of the building in 2012.

The monument was authorized by legislation in 2009 signed by former Gov. Brad Henry. Ritze was the House sponsor of the legislation.

"Well, I would say to him that I wish he would stop playing games about this being something historical," Prescott said. "He is trying to express his faith in the public square. He shouldn't be doing that with monuments trying to make it look like the government is endorsing his particular faith."

Ritze said he had no comments regarding the lawsuit.

Franklin said she talked with students about the separation of church and state.

"I am a religious person and to me separation of church and state isn't the concern about the government trying to control my religion," she said. "It is a concern about religions trying to control my government."

She said she is concerned that the conservative movement could pass more laws focusing on one religion over another or one belief over anther.

"I believe wholeheartedly religion is a personal, private issue and I do not want the government telling me how to worship," Franklin said.

The Liberty Institute based in Texas is assisting the state in defense of the monument.

Hiram Sasser, director of litigation for the Liberty Institute, believes it will withstand a legal challenge. The state followed the law and Supreme Court precedent, Sasser said.

The Legislature authorized the monument because the Ten Commandments are an important component of the laws and legal system, are frequently cited in published decisions and to recognize the role they played in the nation's heritage, Sasser said.


Barbara Hoberock 405-528-2465
barbara.hoberock@tulsaworld.com

Original Print Headline: Minister: Display breaches barrier
CapitolBureau

Change in state lottery split again suggested

Oklahoma Lottery Commission Executive Director Rollo Redburn on Tuesday sent up a trial balloon for lawmakers.

Tulsan reappointed to state regents board

Parker has served the past seven years on the regents board.

CONTACT THE REPORTER

Barbara Hoberock

405-528-2465
Email

COMMENTS

Join the conversation.

Anyone can post a comment on Tulsa World stories. You can either sign in to your Tulsa World account or use Facebook.

Sign in to your online account. If you don't have an account, create one for free. To comment through Facebook, please sign in to your account before you comment.

Read our commenting policy.


Join the conversation.

Anyone can post a comment on Tulsa World stories.

Sign in to your online account. If you don't have an account, create one for free.

Read our commenting policy.

By clicking "Submit" you are agreeing to our terms and conditions, and grant Tulsa World the right and license to publish the content of your posted comment, in whole or in part, in Tulsa World.