NEWS FEED

Tulsa storage facility fire contained A cause of the fire is under investigation.

55 minutes ago

Divorces ASKED

4 hours ago

Marriages (Tulsans unless indicated)

4 hours ago

Tulsa Club owner Josh Barrett vows to remake historic building

3 hours ago

Gunman in Navy Yard rampage was hearing voices He had been treated since August by Veterans Affairs, the officials said.

21 hours ago

Owasso city attorney responds to councilor's accusations

By RHETT MORGAN World Staff Writer on Aug 8, 2013, at 10:50 AM  Updated on 8/08/13 at 11:32 AM


City Attorney Julie Lombardi during an Owasso City Council meeting in June. MICHAEL WYKE/Tulsa World


Related Items
DOCUMENT:Read the letter from the Owasso city attorney.
Owasso

Owasso moves toward widening Garnett in heavily traveled area

The upgrade from 96th to 106th streets north is a candidate for federal funding assistance.

Video of Owasso vice mayor's DUI stop was ordered purged to avoid 'embarrassment,' official says

The former city manager ordered the purging of police videos showing a DUI stop of the vice mayor because he wanted to save the councilor the "embarrassment" of the images reaching the public, a top municipal official said.

CONTACT THE REPORTER

Rhett Morgan

918-581-8395
Email

OWASSO -- The city attorney has vehemently defended herself against a city councilor who questioned her integrity and professional conduct last month in letter from his attorney.

In an 18-page document dated June 11 and written by attorney Christopher Camp, Ward 4 Councilor Patrick Ross criticized City Attorney Julie Lombardi, saying her conduct regarding recent legal issues warranted investigation if not termination.

In an 11-page letter released this week, Lombardi writes that said those allegations have no merit in the facts or law.

She writes that the Camp letter is “deeply troubling in its reckless inaccuracy and, worse yet, its accusatory untruths. Equally disturbing is the repeated willingness of an attorney and councilor to write and publish page after page after page of defamatory distortions and, frankly, accusations and name-calling that have no basis in actuality of law.

“It seems civility, respect, integrity and character were set aside in the name of anger, zeal and revenge. This is both disappointing and disheartening and has resulted in city staff wondering if they will one morning wake up and read such a letter about themselves in the Tulsa World.”

Camp wrote that he was retained by Ross following threats of federal litigation against the councilor from three developers: Sai Milan LLC, SAHO Properties and Maple Glen Development Co. Inc. The developers were denied final plat approval at a council meeting March 19, with Ross being one of two councilors to vote against all three measures.

In litigation filed April 2, the developers asked a judge to reverse the council’s rejection of the plats, which were later approved by the council in a May 7 revote.

“It appears that Lombardi has conspired with (former City Manager Rodney) Ray in an attempt to publicly malign Mr. Ross and intentionally expose him to legal liability and financial ruin, all in the name of political revenge,” Camp wrote.

He suggested, among other things, that Lombardi acted inappropriately in leading a public discussion of certain municipal legal issues that should have been addressed confidentially in executive session; that she intentionally acted to increase Ross’ legal exposure; and that she responded too hastily to the developers’ lawsuits. As for Camp's notion that she tried to malign Ross and fellow Councilor Charlie Brown, Lombardi writes, “These assertions are among the most unfounded, meritless and desperate allegations I have ever seen in the legal profession. They illustrate only a contumacious and virulent attempt to achieve an illegitimate goal of terminating my employment by manufacturing a 'cause’ where it does not otherwise exist.”

Lombardi’s letter was dated July 1 but not made public until this week because it was protected by attorney-client privilege, which the City Council voted to waive Tuesday, authorizing the documents’ release.

The city attorney writes that she has been bolstered by support from residents, the legal community and city attorneys throughout the state, adding that she wants to move past the letter.

“Patrick Ross is a member of the City Council, and it is important to me to provide him with the best possible legal advice and representation I can give in the future just as it always has been in the past,” her letter states.
Related Items
DOCUMENT:Read the letter from the Owasso city attorney.
Owasso

Owasso moves toward widening Garnett in heavily traveled area

The upgrade from 96th to 106th streets north is a candidate for federal funding assistance.

Video of Owasso vice mayor's DUI stop was ordered purged to avoid 'embarrassment,' official says

The former city manager ordered the purging of police videos showing a DUI stop of the vice mayor because he wanted to save the councilor the "embarrassment" of the images reaching the public, a top municipal official said.

CONTACT THE REPORTER

Rhett Morgan

918-581-8395
Email

COMMENTS

Join the conversation.

Anyone can post a comment on Tulsa World stories. You can either sign in to your Tulsa World account or use Facebook.

Sign in to your online account. If you don't have an account, create one for free. To comment through Facebook, please sign in to your account before you comment.

Read our commenting policy.


Join the conversation.

Anyone can post a comment on Tulsa World stories.

Sign in to your online account. If you don't have an account, create one for free.

Read our commenting policy.

By clicking "Submit" you are agreeing to our terms and conditions, and grant Tulsa World the right and license to publish the content of your posted comment, in whole or in part, in Tulsa World.