NEWS FEED

Divorces ASKED

3 hours ago

Marriages (Tulsans unless indicated)

3 hours ago

Gunman in Navy Yard rampage was hearing voices He had been treated since August by Veterans Affairs, the officials said.

20 hours ago

Tulsa Club owner Josh Barrett vows to remake historic building

2 hours ago

Parents push for school funding

By WAYNE GREENE World Senior Writer on May 10, 2012, at 2:01 AM  Updated on 5/10/12 at 4:05 AM


Kendall Burleson (left) and Scott Carter talk before an education rally Wednesday at the state Capitol in Oklahoma City. Burleson and Carter both have children who attend public schools in Tulsa. ALONZO J. ADAMS/for the Tulsa World


CONTACT THE REPORTER

Wayne Greene

918-581-8308
Email

OKLAHOMA CITY - The Mad Mom March brought the push for more public school funding to the state Capitol on Wednesday.

About 50 people signed in for the effort, although fewer than that were at the opening rally. Organizers said several of the marchers had gone ahead with their efforts in advance of the rally, and as many of 75 people may have taken part in the day's effort.

Participants came from Bartlesville, Oklahoma City, Tulsa and Norman, organizers said.

"We believe that an adequate education is a basic right of every Oklahoma child, and the state should fund education at a level so schools can provide this service," said Marlow Sipes, the Tulsa mother of an Eisenhower International School student and co-founder of 49th is Not OK, the group sponsoring the event.

"The Legislature is debating the state's budget, and education is always the first to lose funding," Sipes said. "If we don't stand up and advocate to restore education funding to pre-recession levels, class sizes will increase, course offerings will be eliminated and school districts stand to lose key resources."

Dressed in light blue T-shirts, the parents worked legislative hallways, pushing for more funding for schools.

Scott Carter, who teaches economics at the University of Tulsa and has two children in Tulsa's Lee Elementary, said he was pushing lawmakers to restore education funding to 2007-'08 levels.

"We want to make sure that our education system has enough money so that we can properly educate our children," Carter said.

Sen. Rick Brinkley, R-Owasso, said he was lobbied by the group, and it is always helpful to hear the voices of real citizens when it comes to the prioritizing state spending.

"In the Senate, we want to make sure that education is adequately funded this session," Brinkley said. "I've got a grandchild who's in school and I want to make sure education is adequately funded, so I can guarantee a brighter future for him."


Wayne Greene (918) 581-8308
wayne.greene@tulsaworld.com
CONTACT THE REPORTER

Wayne Greene

918-581-8308
Email

COMMENTS

Join the conversation.

Anyone can post a comment on Tulsa World stories. You can either sign in to your Tulsa World account or use Facebook.

Sign in to your online account. If you don't have an account, create one for free. To comment through Facebook, please sign in to your account before you comment.

Read our commenting policy.


Join the conversation.

Anyone can post a comment on Tulsa World stories.

Sign in to your online account. If you don't have an account, create one for free.

Read our commenting policy.

By clicking "Submit" you are agreeing to our terms and conditions, and grant Tulsa World the right and license to publish the content of your posted comment, in whole or in part, in Tulsa World.