NEWS FEED

Divorces ASKED

21 hours ago

Marriages (Tulsans unless indicated)

21 hours ago

Gunman in Navy Yard rampage was hearing voices He had been treated since August by Veterans Affairs, the officials said.

13 hours ago

State appeals court denies recusal request in Fairmont Terrace homicide case

By BILL BRAUN World Staff Writer on Jul 10, 2013, at 2:27 AM  Updated on 7/10/13 at 7:18 AM


James Poore (left) and Cedric Poore: The two men face murder charges in the deaths of four women in the Fairmont Terrace apartments.


61st and Peoria

Poore brothers bound over for trial in Fairmont Terrace slayings

The Poores next court appearance will be Sept. 23 for an arraignment setting before District Judge William Kellough.

Continuing coverage: Read more about Tulsa's 61st and Peoria neighborhood here.

Testimony in Poores' hearing focuses on crime scene

Witnesses have testified that James Poore said he planned to “pull a lick” and steal drugs and money.

CONTACT THE REPORTER

Bill Braun

918-581-8455
Email

A couple of hurdles in the path to a preliminary hearing in the Fairmont Terrace quadruple-murder case were cleared in court Tuesday, but more likely remain.

In Oklahoma City, the state Court of Criminal Appeals denied a defense request to recuse the judge who is assigned to handle the preliminary hearing, which is scheduled to begin Monday.

In Tulsa, based on the appellate court's action, Tulsa County Presiding District Judge William Kellough lifted the stay order that he had imposed in May.

With the recusal request rejected, Special Judge Stephen Clark remains the judge who is assigned to the preliminary hearing for Cedric Poore and his brother, James Poore.

Lawyers indicated Tuesday that there could be legal motions to address prior to the start of testimony at the preliminary hearing.

James Poore, 32, and Cedric Poore, 39, are each charged with four counts of first-degree murder and two counts of armed robbery. Cedric Poore alone is charged with a gun-possession count.

The Poores are charged in the Jan. 7 shooting deaths of Julie Jackson, 55; Misty Nunley, 33; Rebeika Powell, 23; and Kayetie Powell Melchor, 23, at the Fairmont Terrace apartment complex near 61st Street and Peoria Avenue.

Defense lawyers sought to have Clark disqualified from the case based on witness-related matters.

Kellough's stay order had delayed the preliminary hearing until the recusal matter was resolved.

After Clark and Kellough separately declined to remove Clark from the hearing, the recusal issue was appealed to the state's highest court on criminal matters.

A court filing by attorney John Echols, representing Cedric Poore, asserts that Clark "abdicated the role of impartial magistrate" by directing a witness to appear in the District Attorney's Office, rather than at a court proceeding, and by authorizing the arrest of that witness for having failed to comply with an unlawful directive.

Echols said he plans to pursue a motion Monday requesting that the Tulsa County Public Defender's Office be disqualified from representing witnesses in the case.

A court filing maintains that the Public Defender's Office has represented two material witnesses and one cooperating witness "in this single case."

All four of the slain women were shot in the head, with their hands bound behind their backs, police said.

According to arrest reports, the Poores told witnesses they were "going to pull a lick" - a robbery - at Powell's apartment.

Witnesses have said the Poores said they shot the women because they would be able to identify them, according to police.


Bill Braun 918-581-8455
bill.braun@tulsaworld.com

Original Print Headline: Appeals court denies request for recusal
61st and Peoria

Poore brothers bound over for trial in Fairmont Terrace slayings

The Poores next court appearance will be Sept. 23 for an arraignment setting before District Judge William Kellough.

Continuing coverage: Read more about Tulsa's 61st and Peoria neighborhood here.

Testimony in Poores' hearing focuses on crime scene

Witnesses have testified that James Poore said he planned to “pull a lick” and steal drugs and money.

CONTACT THE REPORTER

Bill Braun

918-581-8455
Email

COMMENTS

Join the conversation.

Anyone can post a comment on Tulsa World stories. You can either sign in to your Tulsa World account or use Facebook.

Sign in to your online account. If you don't have an account, create one for free. To comment through Facebook, please sign in to your account before you comment.

Read our commenting policy.


Join the conversation.

Anyone can post a comment on Tulsa World stories.

Sign in to your online account. If you don't have an account, create one for free.

Read our commenting policy.

By clicking "Submit" you are agreeing to our terms and conditions, and grant Tulsa World the right and license to publish the content of your posted comment, in whole or in part, in Tulsa World.