NEWS FEED

Divorces ASKED

1 hour ago

Marriages (Tulsans unless indicated)

1 hour ago

Gunman in Navy Yard rampage was hearing voices He had been treated since August by Veterans Affairs, the officials said.

18 hours ago

State board lets Tulsa surgeon accused of negligence, incompetence and fraud keep license

By SHANNON MUCHMORE World Staff Writer on Sep 13, 2013, at 2:28 AM  Updated on 9/13/13 at 3:27 AM


Dr. Steven C. Anagnost: As part of the agreement, Anagnost will be required to complete continuing medical education and pay a fine.


Local

Power outage leaves 3,500 customers without service

An AEP-PSO spokesperson said a transformer failure at the Dawson substation about 3:40 a.m. Wednesday that caused a feeder line to malfunction

Tulsa Club owner Josh Barrett vows to remake historic building

The Tulsa Club building was completed on Dec. 26, 1927, as a joint venture between the Tulsa Club and the Tulsa Chamber of Commerce.
Click here to view a slideshow of the inside of the Tulsa Club.
Click here to read John Clanton's blog about the building.

CONTACT THE REPORTER

Shannon Muchmore

918-581-8378
Email

OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma Board of Medical Licensure and Supervision approved an agreement Thursday that will allow a Tulsa surgeon who is accused of negligence, incompetence and fraud to keep his license.

A complaint against Dr. Steven C. Anagnost, who specializes in orthopedic surgery, lists 23 patients who had complications after he performed surgery on them.

Two patients were paralyzed, and one patient subsequently died, according to the complaint by the medical board. Anagnost's case has been pending before the board for more than three years.

The vote to accept the agreement was 4-3, with Deborah Huff, Riaz Sirajuddin, Lee Scheoffler and Hank Ross voting for it and G. David Casper, J. Andy Sullivan and Chuck Skillings voting no.

As part of the agreement, Anagnost will be required to complete continuing medical education and pay a fine. He has agreed not to practice until completing a spine fellowship.

The details of the agreement were not immediately made public, but Lyle Kelsey, executive director of the medical board, issued a statement Thursday evening, saying that "while the outcome of this particular case is not ideal, considering all factors, the board believes their mission to protect and serve the public was fully upheld with the settlement reached, which includes a monetary fine and costs and requires Dr. Anagnost to successfully complete a nationally recognized spine fellowship program."

Anagnost told the Tulsa World that allegations against him were made by competitors in the Tulsa area who were threatened by his success using a new type of surgery.

"This has been a huge struggle," he said. "I'm so happy that the truth is finally getting out after 3 1/2 years of being buried under false accusations and really not giving me my due process. I've gotten my career back."

He said the medical board hired private attorneys who are part of the "malpractice bar" to pursue the case against him.

Anagnost filed a lawsuit against the medical board in July, and he said he agreed to drop the legal action as part of the settlement.

When he filed his lawsuit, the Attorney General's Office became aware of the case and stepped in, he said.

"When the AG's Office became involved, the truth came out, and they finally made some progress and got to a resolution that doesn't interfere with my practice and my ability to continue surgery," he said.

Anagnost said he has taken time away from his surgical practice to fight the medical board's actions. He said he had planned to take some continuing education courses, anyway, "out of just good conscience and being a good doctor."

Two of Anagnost's patients were paralyzed as "part of a pattern of repeated negligence" that "demonstrates incompetence in the practice of surgery," according to the complaint.

One patient died after Anagnost failed to properly evaluate him after surgery and prematurely discharged him despite dangerous signs and symptoms, the complaint states.

Several patients suffered neurological injuries, it says.

Also, Anagnost overbilled Medicare by more than $30,000, according to the complaint.

World Enterprise Editor Ziva Branstetter contributed to this story.


Shannon Muchmore 918-581-8378
shannon.muchmore@tulsaworld.com
Original Print Headline: Panel lets Tulsa surgeon accused of misdeeds keep license
Local

Power outage leaves 3,500 customers without service

An AEP-PSO spokesperson said a transformer failure at the Dawson substation about 3:40 a.m. Wednesday that caused a feeder line to malfunction

Tulsa Club owner Josh Barrett vows to remake historic building

The Tulsa Club building was completed on Dec. 26, 1927, as a joint venture between the Tulsa Club and the Tulsa Chamber of Commerce.
Click here to view a slideshow of the inside of the Tulsa Club.
Click here to read John Clanton's blog about the building.

CONTACT THE REPORTER

Shannon Muchmore

918-581-8378
Email

COMMENTS

Join the conversation.

Anyone can post a comment on Tulsa World stories. You can either sign in to your Tulsa World account or use Facebook.

Sign in to your online account. If you don't have an account, create one for free. To comment through Facebook, please sign in to your account before you comment.

Read our commenting policy.


Join the conversation.

Anyone can post a comment on Tulsa World stories.

Sign in to your online account. If you don't have an account, create one for free.

Read our commenting policy.

By clicking "Submit" you are agreeing to our terms and conditions, and grant Tulsa World the right and license to publish the content of your posted comment, in whole or in part, in Tulsa World.