NEWS FEED

Tulsa storage facility fire contained A cause of the fire is under investigation.

53 minutes ago

Divorces ASKED

4 hours ago

Marriages (Tulsans unless indicated)

4 hours ago

Tulsa Club owner Josh Barrett vows to remake historic building

3 hours ago

Gunman in Navy Yard rampage was hearing voices He had been treated since August by Veterans Affairs, the officials said.

21 hours ago

Sunday: 'Embarrassment' cited as reason Owasso police video withheld

By RHETT MORGAN World Staff Writer on Sep 14, 2013, at 2:43 PM  


Owasso Vice Mayor Christopher Kelley is shown during a DUI stop in a frame capture from a police video. Courtesy


Owasso

Owasso moves toward widening Garnett in heavily traveled area

The upgrade from 96th to 106th streets north is a candidate for federal funding assistance.

Video of Owasso vice mayor's DUI stop was ordered purged to avoid 'embarrassment,' official says

The former city manager ordered the purging of police videos showing a DUI stop of the vice mayor because he wanted to save the councilor the "embarrassment" of the images reaching the public, a top municipal official said.

CONTACT THE REPORTER

Rhett Morgan

918-581-8395
Email

OWASSO — The former city manager ordered the purging of police video showing a DUI stop of the vice mayor because he wanted to save the councilor the “embarrassment” of the images reaching the public, a top municipal official said.

Assistant City Manager Sherry Bishop said she regularly met two to three times a week with former City Manager Rodney Ray, who accepted a resignation agreement June 25, about a month after the City Council ordered an independent investigation into his office.

In April, Ray ordered the deletion of two police videos showing the traffic stop of Vice Mayor Chris Kelley in February, a municipal memo shows.

Through a state Open Records Act request, the Tulsa World in mid-June obtained and posted a copy of the videos that had been secured by a police supervisor.

Ray has declined requests for an interview.

“He felt like that it was going to be published. It would be on YouTube,” Bishop said in a telephone interview. “His anticipation was that eventually somebody is going to know. Somebody is going to ask for it, and it will be on the Internet. And it would just be an embarrassment to Dr. Kelley.”

Told initially by Owasso police that he was being arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol, Kelley, a local veterinarian, ultimately was driven home by police and was not arrested, police said.

In a memo to Information Technology Director Teresa Willson dated April 25, Ray cited police policy relating to video and directed Willson to “purge the (Kelley) files listed below from our video files. There exist no case and no case reports relating to these files, thus they are unnecessary to maintain.”

The Owasso Police Department’s Policy & Procedure Manual states that nonevidentiary video and audio recordings are to be maintained for a minimum of 30 days after their creation. But because of data-storage limitations, access to the recordings can’t be guaranteed after 30 days, the policy states.

“Malicious destruction or deletion” of video is prohibited by the policy.

Bishop said she doesn’t remember exactly when Ray discussed the video, but she does recall conversations about it among Ray, then-Assistant City Manager Warren Lehr, Willson and her.

“It was more along the lines of how would this look to people,” said Bishop, adding that she is unaware of a case in which any other videos have been ordered deleted. “It would look worse than it was. None of us had seen the video.”

Read more in Sunday's World.

Owasso

Owasso moves toward widening Garnett in heavily traveled area

The upgrade from 96th to 106th streets north is a candidate for federal funding assistance.

Video of Owasso vice mayor's DUI stop was ordered purged to avoid 'embarrassment,' official says

The former city manager ordered the purging of police videos showing a DUI stop of the vice mayor because he wanted to save the councilor the "embarrassment" of the images reaching the public, a top municipal official said.

CONTACT THE REPORTER

Rhett Morgan

918-581-8395
Email

COMMENTS

Join the conversation.

Anyone can post a comment on Tulsa World stories. You can either sign in to your Tulsa World account or use Facebook.

Sign in to your online account. If you don't have an account, create one for free. To comment through Facebook, please sign in to your account before you comment.

Read our commenting policy.


Join the conversation.

Anyone can post a comment on Tulsa World stories.

Sign in to your online account. If you don't have an account, create one for free.

Read our commenting policy.

By clicking "Submit" you are agreeing to our terms and conditions, and grant Tulsa World the right and license to publish the content of your posted comment, in whole or in part, in Tulsa World.