Jeff Henderson: The vote was 8-0 against the two requests for representation
City councilors on Thursday rejected two requests by former Tulsa Police Officer Jeff Henderson for legal representation in two federal civil lawsuits.
Henderson was convicted in 2011 on six counts of perjury and two counts of civil rights violations in the Tulsa police corruption case.
At least 46 people have been freed from prison or had their cases modified as a result of the police corruption investigation, and at least 15 lawsuits have been filed against the city and individual police officers.
Henderson's requests for representation pertained to two of those lawsuits.
In separate cases, Demarco Deon Williams and DeMario Terrel Harris were convicted of drug and firearms charges but later had their convictions vacated.
They have filed civil lawsuits against the city and Henderson seeking compensation for what they claim were civil rights violations.
A federal judge in January granted the city's request for a summary judgment in the Williams case, ending the city's involvement.
The city is still a defendant in the Harris case.
"Basically, in both instances, the claims are that involvement by Officer Henderson in the arrests and prosecution is suspect based on the fact that Henderson was indicted by a federal grand jury and went to trial on allegations he falsified search warrants," said Gerald Bender, Litigation Division manager for the city of Tulsa.
Bender has said previously that when considering a request for legal representation by a police officer, councilors must determine whether "the action was lawful and within the course and scope of their duties."
Councilors voted 8-0 against each of Henderson's requests for representation.
Last month, U.S. District Judge James Payne added three months to Henderson's 42-month sentence for his false testimony last year.
The testimony in question in the contempt case came in June during Tony Becknell Jr.'s petition for release from prison, which he was later granted and his sentence was vacated.
In January, councilors approved one request and rejected another by former Tulsa Police Officer Harold Wells, who asked for legal representation in two federal civil lawsuits.
Wells is serving a 10-year federal prison term in Minnesota after being convicted of five charges that resulted from a police-corruption investigation.
The corruption case resulted in charges against six current or former Tulsa police officers and a federal agent, as well as accusations of criminal behavior against five officers who never faced charges.
Two Tulsa police officers - Bruce Bonham and Nick DeBruin - were acquitted of all charges and were fired last year.
A third Tulsa police officer, Bill Yelton, was acquitted and retired in May.
Kevin Canfield 918-581-8313
kevin.canfield@tulsaworld.com
Original Print Headline: Council rejects ex-officer's requests for representation