READ TODAY'S STORIES AND E-EDITION SUBSCRIBE |  CONTACT US |  SIGN IN

Print story only Print story with comments Email Twitter Facebook Pinterest
Lazaro, Mr. Jolley closer to 'Idol' Top 20; Matheus, Micah are out
Published: 2/7/2013 8:43 PM
Last Modified: 2/7/2013 8:43 PM


One of my favorites so far, Micah Johnson, won't make it to the Top 20 guys ...


But Lazaro Arbos has a shot at the Top 20, which will be announced next week during the girls' Hollywood Round.

Well, hmm and stuff -- seems we didn't find out which guys made it in the Top 20 after all on Thursday night's "Idol."

After the solos and some surprising eliminations, the guys that made it through Hollywood Week thus far were all called back onstage -- 28 of them, apparently, as it was announced eight would be cut before a Top 20 is announced next week. Lord ... They had to go and shoot J.R. all those years ago, and EVERYBODY and their mama wants a cliffhanger now ...

But that wasn't as much of a surprise as Micah Johnson, one of my favorites, who didn't make the cut. Not that I'm a vocal guru or anything, but he was undeservedly let go. Yeah, it was an odd song choice (Randy Travis' "I Told You So"), but he did a better job than some other guys who've been let through.

"(I'm) still living, still have a job," he said. "... There's always next year." Total class, Micah.

The other surprise was how bitchy Nicki Minaj seemed tonight -- or, at least, that's what I thought at first. Was she being harsh or just flat-out honest? And what's wrong with the latter?

Paul Jolley -- Mr. Jolley, as I've been calling him -- came out at the top of the show, obviously showing some fraying around the edges emotionally.

"Think it's because all the pressure is compounded now?" Ryan Seacrest asked. Brilliant observation, Ry-Ry.

He sang "Blown Away" and did a fabulous job -- after which Nicki called him out on his earlier crying jag and, pardon my paraphrase, told him to grow the freak up. Still, they sent him on through.

Didn't get to hear much of Lazaro Arbos' "The Edge of Glory," but he made it through. So did Curtis Finch Jr., who sang Christini Perri's "Jar of Hearts" -- along with at least two other people throughout the night's episode. Beautiful song, but once is enough for my ears, and I'm not even judging.

Gurpreet "The Turbanator" made it through, too, with a rendition of "Georgia On My Mind." Cortez, who auditioned in OKC, also made it through.

But one of my favorites, Matheus Fernandes, did not. His version of "Stronger" by Kelly Clarkson was obviously not up to par with other stuff he sang, and he kinda blamed singing with a live band. Felt bad for the guy, but maybe we'll see him in 2014.

Poor "Big Nick," who sang "Locked Out of Heaven," didn't make it, nor did Papa Peaches.

"Remember what I told you yesterday," Nicki began, addressing Mr. Peaches. "... You are too complacent ... That flame has completely burned out." Umm ... Ouch.

"Still love you," she added -- because that's a helpful verbal Band-Aid and all. (But she's right -- the song choice, Lady Gaga's "You and I," didn't deliver.)

Jimmy Smith's "Landslide" sounded good and rightfully pulled him through.

Nick Boddington took a risk singing "Stars" while playing keyboard, and it paid off. The judges also liked Charlie Askew's "Somebody That I Used to Know" (even though I still liked Micah better).

"Today, you became an artist in my eyes," Nicki told him, commenting on that "quirky thing" he exudes. The shoes helped, I reckon.

Unfortunately, it was buh-bye for Nate, who auditioned in Oklahoma City. Ditto for Gabe and Sanni, too.

So who do you think will make it into the Top 20 next week?

Peace, love and "there's always next year" ... XOXO



Reader Comments 1 Total

ClanJoyWalkSig (last week)
Too bad the judges can't vote Minaj-a-twit off... I wasn't going to watch this year because I'm tired of it, but Micah got to me... and now he's gone. Or is he? Do you think they might 'pull an X-Factor' and ask him back?
1 comments displayed


To post comments on tulsaworld.com, you must be an active Tulsa World print or digital subscriber and signed into your account.

Living Wright

While other kids were watching "The Smurfs," Scene Writer Jason Ashley Wright was tuned in to "Style with Elsa Klensch." By fourth grade, he knew he wanted to write, and spent almost three years publishing a weekly teen-oriented magazine, Teen-Zine -- circulation: 2. After earning a degree in journalism from the University of Southern Mississippi, he became the medical reporter and teen board coordinator for the Hattiesburg (Miss.) American, a Gannett newspaper. Eight months later, with visions of Elsa dancing in his head, he applied for the fashion writer position at the Tulsa World, where he began working on Aug. 3, 1998. He is now a general assignment reporter for Scene.

Follow Jason Ashley Wright on Twitter

Subscribe to this blog



Archive

 
Jason Ashley Wright's Blog Archive:

2/2013  1/2013  12/2012  11/2012  10/2012  9/2012  
8/2012  7/2012  6/2012  5/2012  4/2012  3/2012  
2/2012  1/2012  12/2011  11/2011  10/2011  9/2011  
8/2011  7/2011  6/2011  5/2011  4/2011  3/2011  
2/2011  1/2011  12/2010  11/2010  10/2010  9/2010  
8/2010  7/2010  6/2010  5/2010  4/2010  3/2010  
2/2010  1/2010  12/2009  11/2009  10/2009  9/2009  
8/2009  7/2009  6/2009  5/2009  4/2009  3/2009  
2/2009  1/2009  12/2008  11/2008  10/2008  9/2008  
8/2008  7/2008  6/2008  5/2008  4/2008  3/2008  
2/2008  1/2008  12/2007  11/2007  10/2007  9/2007  
8/2007  7/2007  6/2007  








Home | Contact Us | Search | Subscribe | Customer Service | About | Advertise | Privacy
Copyright © 2013, World Publishing Co. All rights reserved.