SCENE FEED

Gunman in Navy Yard rampage was hearing voices He had been treated since August by Veterans Affairs, the officials said.

17 hours ago

191 Comments

Putin and Obama

2 days ago

166 Comments

Obama's Jail

6 days ago

116 Comments

United We Stand

last week

88 Comments

Obama Foreign Policy

4 days ago

Rolling Stone responds to backlash over upcoming magazine cover featuring Boston Marathon bombing suspect

By BRAVETTA HASSELL Scene Writer on Jul 17, 2013, at 3:43 PM  Updated on 7/17 at 3:43 PM



POP

Dennis Rodman: ex-basketball star, newest U.S. diplomat?

A friend of mine is convinced that ex-basketball star Dennis Rodman is “The Answer” to the Syria crisis.

Dear him.
...

Kim Kardashian, Kanye West bring baby North to Oklahoma

We can't figure out what's more exciting.

That Kim-Ye's celeb-baby North was in Oklahoma this past weekend or that ...

Agnostic, atheist group files complaint against judge over Messiah baby name change

The Associated Press reported this week that following the news that a Tennessee judge had ordered a baby’s name be changed ...

CONTACT THE BLOGGER

Bravetta Hassell

918-581-8316
Email

2013/7/tsarnaev.jpg

The cover story "Jahar's World" is featured in the August issue of Rolling Stone, which hits newsstands this Friday.


Rolling Stone has now responded to critics of its decision to feature Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar "Jahar" Tsarnaev on the cover of its August 2013 issue.

Editors said on the magazine's Facebook profile that the cover story they are publishing this week is in keeping with their reputation. The magazine featuring the Tsarnaev cover story is set to hit stands this Friday.

"Our hearts go out to the victims of the Boston Marathon bombing, and our thoughts are always with them and their families," write the magazine's editors in a recent Facebook post. "The cover story we are publishing this week falls within the traditions of journalism and Rolling Stone’s long-standing commitment to serious and thoughtful coverage of the most important political and cultural issues of our day.

"The fact that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is young, and in the same age group as many of our readers, makes it all the more important for us to examine the complexities of this issue and gain a more complete understanding of how a tragedy like this happens. –THE EDITORS"

Yesterday, the magazine said the cover story - called "Jahar's World" and written by contributing editor Janet Reitman - offers a deeply-reported account of the life and times of Tsarnaev.

Reitman is said to have spent two months interviewing a variety of people who've either known Tsarnaev or are closely related to the case.

More than 15,000 people responded to Rolling Stone's initial post and at least 4,000 have reacted to its recent response to the backlash - one that by the looks of it does little to quiet the issue many have taken with the magazine's editorial decision.

Says one Facebook commenter: "Writing a story about the Boston Bomber is acceptable. However, attempting to turn him into a celebrity for ratings is despicable and nothing but disrespectful to the victims of this terrorists actions."

And in response to her from another commenter: "You guys need to get over yourselves. There's a lot more to this issue and to Rolling Stone magazine than that. Not even bothering to read the article BECAUSE you are so small minded about the photo is disrespectful to the victims. Never learning WHY this stuff happens is disrespectful to those victims and to every future victim."

Forbes magazine reports the pharmacy chain CVS has refused to sell the August issue - featuring the 19-year-old - at its stores.

In a statement on its Facebook page it says:

"CVS/pharmacy has decided not to sell the current issue of Rolling Stone featuring a cover photo of the Boston Marathon bombing suspect. As a company with deep roots in New England and a strong presence in Boston, we believe this is the right decision out of respect for the victims of the attack and their loved ones."

Last week Tsarnaev pleaded not guilty to 30 counts associated with the April 15 bombing at the Boston Marathon in which three people were killed and more than 260 others were injured, ABC News reports.


Follow the Pop blog on Twitter.

SCENE: Visit the home to all things food, movies, TV, music and local entertainment.

POP

Dennis Rodman: ex-basketball star, newest U.S. diplomat?

A friend of mine is convinced that ex-basketball star Dennis Rodman is “The Answer” to the Syria crisis.

Dear him.
...

Kim Kardashian, Kanye West bring baby North to Oklahoma

We can't figure out what's more exciting.

That Kim-Ye's celeb-baby North was in Oklahoma this past weekend or that ...

Agnostic, atheist group files complaint against judge over Messiah baby name change

The Associated Press reported this week that following the news that a Tennessee judge had ordered a baby’s name be changed ...

CONTACT THE BLOGGER

Bravetta Hassell

918-581-8316
Email

COMMENTS

Join the conversation.

Anyone can post a comment on Tulsa World stories. You can either sign in to your Tulsa World account or use Facebook.

Sign in to your online account. If you don't have an account, create one for free. To comment through Facebook, please sign in to your account before you comment.

Read our commenting policy.


Join the conversation.

Anyone can post a comment on Tulsa World stories.

Sign in to your online account. If you don't have an account, create one for free.

Read our commenting policy.

By clicking "Submit" you are agreeing to our terms and conditions, and grant Tulsa World the right and license to publish the content of your posted comment, in whole or in part, in Tulsa World.

SCENE FEED

Gunman in Navy Yard rampage was hearing voices He had been treated since August by Veterans Affairs, the officials said.

17 hours ago

191 Comments

Putin and Obama

2 days ago

166 Comments

Obama's Jail

6 days ago

116 Comments

United We Stand

last week

88 Comments

Obama Foreign Policy

4 days ago