OSU, Karron Johnson parting company
Published: 2/19/2011 11:08 PM
Last Modified: 2/19/2011 11:17 PM
Oklahoma State's heralded two-player early signing class is down to one.
McDonald's All-American LeBryan Nash of Lincoln High School in Dallas is still on board.
But coach Travis Ford confirmed late Saturday night that Karron Johnson -- who had been ranked as the top junior college player in the country before getting dismissed from his Midland (Texas) Junior College team -- and the Cowboys have parted company.
“He won’t be here,” Ford said. “That’s all I want to say about it.”
Johnson would have come with baggage. He is much-traveled and has a history of behavioral issues.
Johnson signed a letter of intent with OSU, but Ford said Johnson “can go wherever he wants to go.”
I interviewed Johnson a couple of years ago and, in a face-to-face setting, he was polite and candid. During the interview, he told me that, when he was a child, his father was murdered.
Johnson indicated that the tragic loss of his father may have led to him having issues with male authority figures throughout the remainder of his childhood and young adulthood. I hope the kid has a good life, wherever he lands next.
--Jimmie Tramel.

Written by
Jimmie Tramel
Sports Writer