OSU's revenge game? It already happened
Published: 10/16/2012 5:55 PM
Last Modified: 10/16/2012 5:55 PM
Oklahoma State players were getting peppered with questions Monday about an upcoming “revenge” game against Iowa State.
When those questions came James Castleman’s way, the sophomore defensive tackle had an interesting response. Castleman said the revenge game has already happened.
Say what?
Did we slip into a state of suspended animation and miss an entire football season?
Isn’t OSU playing Iowa State for the first time since the Cyclones spoiled the Cowboys’ unbeaten season?
Yes, OSU and ISU are locking horns for the first time since you-know-what happened. But, according to Castleman’s scorekeeping, revenge is not a motive because the Cowboys got that out of their system last year.
“We took our revenge to the OU game with us,” Castleman said, referring to the first game OSU played after losing at Iowa State.
Draw this conclusion: Instead of feeling sorry for themselves about what happened in Ames, the Cowboys got mad enough to take out their frustrations on the Sooners and capture an outright Big 12 championship.
Former player Richetti Jones (he was a go-to interview subject during his playing days) made a Boone Pickens Stadium press box appearance Monday because he is preparing for a media career. He said hearing the news that OSU wouldn’t be invited to the BCS title game (the Cowboys missed by decimal points) stung more than the loss to Iowa State.
How long did it take Jones to get past the Iowa State disappointment? He said he was over it as soon as the Cowboys beat OU, describing it as the best day of his life.
“The OU game is when we got past it,” Castleman said in reference to the Iowa State loss.
“Players who are still here from that game last year, we know what happened. We know that it was bad and we know we are mad about it, but I don’t think we’re going to carry any revenge into (a rematch this week). We are just going to move on like it’s another game.”

Written by
Jimmie Tramel
Sports Writer