Status of Barnett's commitment now uncertain
Published: 1/25/2010 2:04 PM
Last Modified: 1/25/2010 2:04 PM
To quote a source familiar with the Oklahoma State-Calvin Barnett relationship, "this situation has gotten squirrelly."
Barnett is a Booker T. Washington High School defensive tackle. A four-star national prospect and a U.S. Army All-American, he committed to OSU in August. As recently as last week, he said, "I've been solid since the day I committed."
But Barnett visited Arkansas over the weekend. An attempt to contact him on Sunday night was unsuccessful.
Eric Bennett, Barnett's high school teammate, has committed to the Razorbacks and apparently is trying to persuade Barnett to switch his commitment.
If Barnett is wavering on his Cowboy commitment, OSU has opportunities to fortify its position. It is believed that Cowboy coach Mike Gundy and defensive coordinator Bill Young are scheduled to visit Barnett's home on Wednesday. Barnett has said that he plans to make an official visit to OSU this weekend.
Because they are scarce, elite defensive tackles are treasured in recruiting. The 320-pound Barnett is considered to be an impact interior defender, and his commitment is a significant reason why OSU's current commitment list is rated No. 12 nationally by Scout.
If OSU were to lose Barnett on Feb. 3 (national signing day), the 2010 Cowboy class would not pack quite the same punch.
-- Bill Haisten

Written by
Bill Haisten
Sports Writer