Wickline says there has been no offer from Texas
Published: 1/14/2011 9:28 PM
Last Modified: 1/14/2011 9:28 PM
Oklahoma State’s Joe Wickline, considered to be among the best offensive line coaches in college football, said on Friday night that he has not been offered a job by Texas coach Mack Brown.
For several days, the Wickline-Texas possibility has resulted in considerable Internet chatter. Sources indicate that Brown viewed Wickline and Auburn’s Jeff Grimes as candidates for the Longhorns’ offensive line job.
“I haven’t been offered a job by Texas,” Wickline said by telephone. “I’ve been hearing that. I have a good job. We’re fortunate to be here and look forward to spring ball. . . . In reality, there’s not a lot to talk about.”
Asked whether he had been contacted by Texas, Wickline replied, “No. . . . I haven’t heard from them.”
“I’ve got a great job here and we’ve had a lot of fun with coach (Mike) Gundy and coach Holder (athletic director Mike Holder),” Wickline said. “ . . . Nothing has been said to me on an official basis that would make me think that it would change. That’s the way it’s always been. Any time there are job openings, people are going to talk.”
OSU already lost two offensive assistants as coordinator Dana Holgorsen and running backs coach Robert Gillespie moved to West Virginia. Also, it is believed that Cowboy receivers coach Gunter Brewer is a candidate for a comparable position at Ole Miss.
Wickline’s coaching has been a prominent factor in OSU’s success. In four consecutive seasons (2006-09), the Cowboys led the Big 12 in rushing. In 13 games during the 2010 season, with four first-year starters on the line, OSU gave up only 10 sacks – the lowest such total in the conference.
-- Bill Haisten

Written by
Bill Haisten
Sports Writer