CAPRESE TART WITH BASIL-GARLIC CRUST
- 1/3 cup(s) fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 11/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 8-10 p
- 4 tablespoon(s) ice water
- 4 ounce(s) thinly sliced fresh mozzarella
- 1 large, ripe tomato, sliced
- 1 tablespoon(s) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh minced basil
FOR THE BASIL-GARLIC CRUST:
1. In the bowl of a food processor, add the basil and garlic. Pulse until finely chopped. Add flour and salt, pulsing to combine.
2. Add the pieces of butter and pulse until dough forms pea-sized pieces. Add 1 tablespoon of water at a time, pulsing a few times after each addition. After adding 4 tablespoons of water total, pulse for several seconds to see if the dough forms into a ball. If not, add the fifth tablespoon of water and continue to pulse until a ball is formed. Remove dough.
3. Flatten dough into a 5-inch disk. Wrap in plastic and place in the fridge for at least one hour. (Dough can be placed in a Ziploc bag and refrigerated for several days, or frozen for one month. Defrost in refrigerator.)
4. Roll dough out on floured surface. Carefully place into tart pan and press along edges. Trim dough from edges if necessary.
For the tart:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Press prepared dough into greased tart pan. Bake crust for 15 minutes. If crust bubbles, gently press down with a spatula.
2. Top crust with sliced mozzarella. Place tomato slices over the mozzarella. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Top with basil.
3. Bake 15-20 minutes, until dough is light brown and cheese is melted and bubbly. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.