GRILLED PORTOBELLO MUSHROOM BURGERS
Here's a recipe for a grilled portobello burger from the Vegetarian Times' "Everything Vegan" ($29.95, Wiley). The portobello is the "steak of the vegetarian world because of their hearty flavor and texture," according to the book.
- 6 large portobello mushrooms, stems and gills remove
- 2 cup(s) Syrah
- 2 small shallots ( 1/4 cup), chopped
- 1 clove garlic (1 teaspoon), chopped
- 8 black peppercorns
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 6 toasted whole-wheat hamburger buns
- Mayonnaise, onions, tomatoes and arugula, for serv
1. Poke holes all over mushrooms, making sure not to break them. Place in large glass baking dish.
2. Combine wine, shallots, garlic, peppercorns and thyme in small saucepan, and season with salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 5 minutes. Pour wine mixture over mushrooms, and stir to coat. Cover, and marinate 2 hours.
3. Preheat grill or broiler. Remove mushrooms from marinade, and discard liquid. Grill mushrooms 5 minutes on each side, or until browned and juicy. Serve on buns with burger fixings.
Serves 6: 166 calories, 2 grams fat (0.5 saturated), 7 grams protein, 29 grams carbohydrates, 216 milligrams sodium, 3 grams fiber
Tip: When buying portobello mushrooms, choose mushrooms that are smooth and brown on top with gills that look dry, not wet or sticky, "Everything Vegan" states. And don't throw out those stems and gills; use them to make mushroom broth by covering with water and simmering 20-30 minutes.