ORZO AND SUMMER SQUASH FRITTERS
From Michael Fusco of Michael Fusco's Riverside Grill
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 pound(s) orzo, cooked
- 1 pound(s) summer squash, about 2 medium, finely diced
- 1/2 sweet onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup(s) bread crumbs
- sea salt
- fresh black pepper
- 1/2 cup(s) oil
1. Whisk egg in a large bowl. Combine orzo, squash, onion, garlic, bread crumbs, salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mix to combine well. Season with additional salt, to taste.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook fritters in two batches. Drop six mounds of the mixture (2 tablespoons each) into the skillet. Flatten slightly. Cook, turning once, until browned, 4 to 6 minutes on each side.
3. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle with salt. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve with aioli for dipping.
Depending on the moisture content of your squash and onion, you may need to add an extra egg and a few more bread crumbs when making these fritters. At Fusco's, they're served with a chipotle aioli.