QUESO FLAMEADO (FLAMING CHEESE)
- 1/4 pound(s) chorizo (Mexican sausage) casings removed
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup(s) sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1 serrano chile, minced (optional)
- 2 cup(s) shredded queso Chihuahua or Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoon(s) 151-proof liquor, such as Everclear
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Brown the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, 5 to 6 minutes. Pour off the fat. Add the onion, tomato, mushrooms and chile, if using, and saute until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat.
3. Meanwhile, spread the cheese in a small baking dish and bake for 5 to 10 minutes, until completely melted. Remove from the oven.
4. Pour the chorizo mixture over the cheese. Pour the liquor over the top, and using a long match, carefully ignite the liquor - the flames will die down in 30 to 45 seconds. Serve with corn or flour tortillas by placing cheese inside tortilla and folding them over to form a taco.