SAUSAGE, GRAPE AND GORGONZOLA SANDWICHES
- 1 4-ounce sausage
- 2 6-inch baguettes
- 3 (6 tablespoons) Gorgonzola Dolce or other spreadab
- 1/3 cup(s) grapes (about 9 large grapes), cut into thin slice
1. Use a large chef's knife to cut the sausage almost in half lengthwise, leaving the two halves just barely attached to each other.
2. Grill, broil or pan fry the "butterflied" sausage until cooked through. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
3. Heat a panini press or sandwich press according to the manufacturer's instructions. Slice the baguette pieces in half lengthwise and spread some cheese on the bottom half of each baguette. Lightly press the grape slices into the cheese so they'll stay put.
4. Place a sausage half, flat-side down, on top of the grapes. Top each sandwich with the top half of the baguette.
5. Put the sandwich on the press, pull down the top, and cook until they're browned and crisp, 4 to 7 minutes, depending on how hot your machine is. Carefully remove from the press and serve.
- Adapted from The Best of Fine Cooking Tailgating (originally from Panini Express by Daniel Leader and Lauren Chattman)