Steven Tyler rejoins Aerosmith, tour announced
BY Associated Press
Friday, February 26, 2010
For more: Check out Tulsa World music reporter Jennifer Chancellor's Barrelhouse Beat Blog for music news, videos and more.
NEW YORK (AP) — After turmoil that included public squabbling, threats of a lineup change and a rehab stint, Aerosmith is back and ready to rock.
The Rock and Roll Hall of Famers have announced their "Cocked, Locked and Ready to Rock" European summer tour — with Steven Tyler, which starts June 10 in Sweden.
The band made the announcement Thursday. It also posted a video on its Web site in which Tyler, sitting with the rest of the band, jokes: "I just auditioned and I got the gig."
Aerosmith, which has been one of rock's enduring bands over the past three decades, has been in limbo since Tyler fell off a stage during an August concert in South Dakota, injuring himself and forcing the band to cancel the rest of their summer tour.
After that, Perry expressed anger that the group had been sidelined and said Tyler needed to get his act together.
In December, Tyler checked in to rehab for a painkiller addiction, a problem he blamed on years of injuries suffered while performing with the band.
In an interview this week, bandmate Joey Kramer said: "Everything right now in Aero-land is very copacetic. ... We will carry on and do what we do best."
The band, best known for hits like "Walk This Way," has a long history of discord and overcame heavy drug abuse in the 1970s and early 1980s, but has been a mainstay in rock since enjoying a revival more than two decades ago.
Aerosmith performs at the BOK Center in this July 29, 2009, file photo. STEPHEN HOLMAN/Tulsa World file