Tulsa looking to a future with NCAA
BY JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
Monday, March 14, 2011
3/14/11 at 7:39 AM
Sunday's announcement - indeed, all the planning that went into the last year or so to land the NCAA men's basketball tournament at the BOK Center - should not stand alone as the big splash, but instead should be the first wave of many.
"This always is a huge event, but it's also an audition for Tulsa," said BOK booking and special events manager Jeff Nickler. "If our building lives up to expectations and our community lives up to expectations, it's gonna come back."
The Tulsa Sports Commission has submitted bids for the 2014 or 2015 events. Currently, regional sites are set through 2013.
"We want to make sure the NCAA leaves here going, 'It was a great experience, and it was great basketball,'" said Tulsa Sports Commission executive director Ray Hoyt. "We want the NCAA deciding when they're coming back, not if they're coming back."
John E. Hoover 581-8384