Showers and thunderstorms likely tonight in Tulsa area
BY Staff Reports
Monday, August 08, 2011
8/08/11 at 3:56 PM
From the Tulsa World weather blog: A case against closed cars, kids and dogs during these hot temps
The National Weather Service forecasts a strong chance of showers and thunderstorms tonight for the Tulsa area, with more chances forecast later this week.
A 20 percent chance of precipitation is forecast for this afternoon; a 60 percent chance is forecast for tonight; a 30 percent chance is forecast for Tuesday night; a 50 percent chance is forecast for Wednesday; and a 20 percent chance is forecast for Thursday, according to the weather service.
Highs near 107 are forecast for Tulsa today, but highs in the 90s are anticipated Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, the weather service forecasts. After highs near 100 Friday, highs are expected in the 90s once again Saturday and Sunday.
An excessive heat warning continued to be in effect for Tulsa County until 7 p.m. tonight, with an excessive heat watch in effect until Tuesday night, according to the weather service.
Other counties under this warning and watch are Cherokee, Creek, Okfuskee, Okmulgee, Wagoner, Rogers, Mayes, Delaware, Pawnee, Ottawa, Pushmataha, Choctaw, Washington, Osage, Craig, Nowata, Pittsburg, Sequoyah, McIntosh, Muskogee, LeFlore, Latimer and Haskell.
Not including today, Tulsa has had 13-straight days of highs hitting the 100s, dating back to July 26. The hottest day in that streak was Aug. 3, when the weather service recorded a high of 113.
The only precipitation recorded during that streak was 0.75 of an inch on Saturday, according to the weather service.
Tulsa World Weather: A new weather site powered by the Tulsa staff of the National Weather Service. The partnership allows Tulsa World readers to receive weather alerts, forecasts and current conditions as the staff issues them.
In this June 28 file photo, A pedestrian runs during a downpour on the Main Mall near Fourth Street. TOM GILBERT/ Tulsa World File