Clarkson, Tulsa reach agreement on player's release
BY ERIC BAILEY World Sports Writer
Thursday, April 26, 2012
4/26/12 at 4:59 PM
Tulsa athletic director Ross Parmley met with Jordan Clarkson’s family Thursday afternoon and both parties have reached an agreement concerning the player’s future.
Clarkson has obtained a full release to all but a limited number of schools. But it's not known if the all-conference guard will be released to five schools — Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor, Missouri and Arizona — that were on the original “banned” list by TU.
Jordan Clarkson tweeted shortly after the announcement: “Not releasing a specific number but the number is very small.”
“The Clarkson family appreciates the opportunity to sit down with athletic director Ross Parmley and come to an agreement that is suitable to both parties so that we can move forward in a positive manner, and one in which both parties maintain credibility and a reputation,” Jordan’s father, Mike Clarkson, said. “Jordan really appreciates The University of Tulsa and the Tulsa community for their support of him and the Golden Hurricane during his two years at TU.”
“We wish nothing but the best for Jordan and his family as Jordan continues his bright career at another school,” Parmley said. “I am happy that the two sides could come to an agreement that is suitable for both parties.”
The Clarkson family said in an e-mail to the Tulsa World on March 12 that the player would “explore all options, which would include the possibility of transferring," one day following Doug Wojcik’s firing.
On April 17, Clarkson was given permission by Parmley to contact three schools on a preferred list of eight schools given by the family. Last Friday, the list grew after Parmley met with Clarkson as some schools requested permission to speak with the guard.
Central Florida's Keith Clanton fouls Tulsa's Jordan Clarkson in a game earlier this year. Clarkson has asked to be released from his Tulsa scholarship. MICHAEL WYKE/Tulsa World