Out Pick The Picker: Two contests for double the fun
BY The Picker
Thursday, August 23, 2012
8/23/12 at 3:14 PM
The Picker Blog: Catch up on what The Picker has been up to all off season.Original Print Headline: Take your Picks - two contests for double the fun
Thursday just got well.
The Picks are back with double the fun, or humiliation, depending on your expertise and luck.
We're running two contests this time around: one played against the point spread, same as always; and one straight up - pick an outright winner, for those who made C's and D's in arithmetic. Enter one, enter both, the first prize in each contest is a plasma TV.
If recent seasons are representative, you will be matching skills with pickers from Canada to Iraq.
The opening weekend next Thursday through Monday features an all college card of 16 great games - Boise State-Michigan State, for example, TU at Iowa State in a game that is THE season for the locals, Michigan-Alabama at Jerry's World, and OU opening on the road at night at UTEP for some nutty reason.
Games will be posted for picking Monday at noon.
Each week in the contest, the top 25 pickers will be prominently displayed.
Rotten records will be displayed more discreetly.
You must sign up to play; it's free.
To get you in the mood, here's a peek at a new feature, Most Overrated.
15. Breaking Bad: This TV series is too mean and humorless.
14. Texas A&M: Two Aggie jokes in one. Going to the SEC, and being happy about it!
13. The Who's Quadrophenia: Wake up, Granny, they're taking the stage.
12. Mack Brown: Are the eyes of Texas soon to be upon coaching applications?
11. ESPN's Game Day: Curly, Moe and Herbstreit.
10. The Mike Stoops defense: Couldn't stop pedestrian traffic at Arizona.
9. Chris Berman: Back, back, back, backward announcing skills.
8. Thunder GM and boy wonder Presti: OKC sinks slightly without trades.
7. Local TV meteorologists: Read computers and talk baby talk.
6. Political conventions: Watch your hard-earned donation money at play.
5. Hating the Dallas Cowboys: Could surprise, best when overlooked.
4. American pro golfers: Sissies to be Ryder Cup fodder to cocky Euros.
3. The spread offense: Cheesy attack seldom wins the biggest one.
2. Erin Andrews: Her voice sounds a little like the Aflac duck.
1. TCU: Could lose six, as at Wyoming is not quite like at Oklahoma State.
Follow The Picker on Twitter: @thepicker