Trash pickup moved to observe Labor Day
BY KEVIN CANFIELD World Staff Writer
Sunday, September 02, 2012
9/02/12 at 2:41 AM
With trash crews off on Labor Day, city customers should plan on having their trash picked up a day later this week.
That means customers with Monday service, for example, will have their trash picked up Tuesday, with service extended through Saturday to accommodate Friday customers. The change in collection days does not apply to customers in the northwest quadrant of the city who receive service directly from the city.
The greenwaste site at 10401 E. 56th St. also will be closed Monday.
Labor Day marks the beginning of the NeWSolutions third month of providing trash and recycling service for the city.
The company was hired to provide a three-month, abbreviated trash program in July after the city's former trash service provider, Tulsa Refuse Inc., said that it couldn't continue collecting trash through the summer because of equipment and manpower difficulties.
Beginning Oct. 1, NeWSolutions' regular agreement with the city will take effect and with it will come a few extra service offerings.
For example, NeWSolutions currently does not pick up recyclables from backyards. Beginning Oct. 1, customers with backyard service will have their trash and recyclables picked up.
City spokeswoman Liz Hunt said other service options will also be available then.
"If customers selected twice-a-week service, they will receive twice-a-week service," she said.
On July 16, NeWSolutions began delivering trash and recycling carts to the city's 116,000 customers. Deliveries began in west Tulsa before moving to north Tulsa - save for the 22,000 customers in the northwest quadrant, where trash is collected by city workers - and then southward.
NeWSolutions is now distributing carts in east Tulsa and will move into south Tulsa soon, Hunt said.
Labor Day week trash pickup schedule
|Normal pickup day ||Labor Day week|
The change in collection days does not apply to customers in the northwest quadrant of the city who receive service directly from the city.
Customers with trash service questions should call 918-596-9777.
Source: City of Tulsa
Original Print Headline: Trash pickup moved for Labor Day
- City, county, state and federal offices will be closed Monday in honor of Labor Day.
- Public safety and mission-critical operations, however, will operate as normal. Residents who need assistance with a water or sewer problem may call the city's 24-hour emergency number, 918-596-9488.
- The Tulsa County Courthouse will be closed Monday.
- All city-county library branches will be closed Sunday and Monday.
- Tulsa Parks recreation centers will be closed Monday, but the parks' outdoor facilities will be accessible as usual.
- The City of Tulsa Animal Welfare Shelter at 3031 N. Erie Ave. also will be closed Monday.
- Mohawk and Page Belcher golf courses, as well as Tulsa Zoo, will be open Monday. Gilcrease Museum will be closed Monday according to its usual schedule.
- The Tulsa Performing Arts Center also will be closed Monday.
- Tulsa Transit bus service will not operate on Labor Day.
Kevin Canfield 918-581-8313
Mario Rico stacks Tulsa's new trash carts at NeWSolutions headquarters in west Tulsa. Trash carts are being distributed in east Tulsa, with south Tulsa next up. JOHN CLANTON / Tulsa World file