Creek County inmates hospitalized after swallowing razor blades
BY JERRY WOFFORD
Tuesday, October 02, 2012
SAPULPA -- Six inmates at the Creek County Jail have been transported to the hospital in the last 10 days after jail officials learned the inmates swallowed razor blades, county officials said.
At least two are still recovering in the hospital after they were “purposefully swallowing these razor blades to get out of jail,” said Creek County Undersheriff John Davis. Once stabilized and treated, the inmates come back to the county jail, he said.
The inmates in one pod were breaking apart and removing the small razor blade from disposable razors, swallowing them and then come tell jail staff they had just swallowed the blade, Davis said.
“This is, from the best of our knowledge, an isolated incident to one pod,” Davis said. “They’re doing this with no regard for health or safety.”
Davis could not specify the type or severity of the injuries the inmates incurred.
County officials are exploring their options to stop the trend, including working with the district attorney’s office to see if any of the costs of treatment and transportation can be recovered.
“We’re taking all the steps we can to make sure this doesn’t happen anymore,” Davis said.