Natural gas leak forces temporary evacuation of Bixby elementary school
BY AMANDA BLAND World Staff Writer
Wednesday, October 31, 2012
Students are returning to Bixby Central Elementary after a damaged gas meter required the school's evacuation Wednesday morning.
School administrators were notified of a significant gas leak at Bixby Central Elementary, 201 S. Main St., at 8:30 a.m., said Bill Coyle, an associate superintendent with Bixby Public Schools.
The leak was caused by a gas meter that was apparently struck by a car, Coyle said.
Pre-kindergarten through third-grade students were arriving at the school for 9 a.m. classes when the leak was discovered. Students were then rerouted to Bixby High School, and parents received a recorded notification of the evacuation by phone.
Children were allowed to return to the school about 45 minutes later, Coyle said.
The damaged meter only affects the school's cafeteria, he said, but meals for students will be brought in from neighboring schools.