Law group honors Tulsa World reporter
BY Staff Reports
Sunday, November 18, 2012
11/18/12 at 4:14 AM
OKLAHOMA CITY - Tulsa World reporter Ginnie Graham was honored Thursday with the Liberty Bell Award during the Oklahoma Bar Association's 108th annual meeting.
The award is presented annually to a non-lawyer or lay organization for promoting or publicizing matters regarding the legal system.
Graham's award is one of 22 that were presented to recipients from across the state. Graham was recognized for her series of investigative articles titled "Oklahoma Crisis: Child Abuse and Neglect," documenting Oklahoma's efforts to prevent, identify and treat Oklahoma's abused and neglected children. The series appeared in the World between April and August, and addressed aspects of the state's child protection system.
"She is recognized for writing with respect and honesty of the fears displayed by parents, mental illnesses that were presented in the courtroom, tears shed by exhausted OKDHS workers searching for runaway children, the strength of the attorneys representing the children and parents, and the reality of the end results derived in these cases," the OBA said in a news release.
"She is commended for her fair reporting and high quality of work that gave the public an accurate eye into the world of abused and neglected children in Oklahoma."
Graham has been a reporter with the World for 18 years, covering social issues, education and criminal justice. She holds a bachelor's degree in journalism and master's of public administration from the University of Oklahoma.
Other award recipients from the Tulsa area are:
- Lawyer Clark Brewster, Award for Outstanding Pro Bono Service
- Lawyer Gary C. Clark, Maurice Merrill Golden Quill Award
- Lawyer Renee DeMoss, Maurice Merrill Golden Quill Award
- Lawyer Fred Dorwart, Alma Wilson Award
- Lawyer Robert S. Farris, Neil E. Bogan Professionalism Award
- Lawyer Paul Naylor, Award for Outstanding Pro Bono Service
- Lawyer Melissa Taylor, Maurice Merrill Golden Quill Award
- Law Student Rachel A. Jones, University of Tulsa College of Law, Outstanding Senior Law School Student Award
- Tulsa County Bar Association, Outstanding County Bar Association
Original Print Headline: Law group honors World reporter
Ginnie Graham: Graham was recognized for her series of investigative articles titled "Oklahoma Crisis: Child Abuse and Neglect," which documented Oklahoma's actions on behalf of abused and neglected children. The annual award is given to a non-lawyer or lay organization.