Reba McEntire, Zooey Deschanel share Thanksgiving recipes
BY RITA SHERROW World Television Editor
Wednesday, November 21, 2012
11/21/12 at 3:24 AM
Oklahoma country music star and actress Reba McEntire has just the recipe for Thursday's Thanksgiving dinner.
The star of "Malibu Country" provided Good Housekeeping magazine with her recipe for Praline Sweet Potato Casserole.
The dish, made with canned sweet potatoes, is down-home comfort food and super easy to make.
The recipe is included below.
Also, watch the Chockie native's sitcom "Malibu Country" at 7:30 p.m. Friday on ABC, channel 8.
In this week's episode, Reba is angered when ex-husband Bobby arrives for Cash's birthday and gives him a brand new sports car, knowing full well that Reba wanted their son to earn a car by working for it and not by entitlement.
Zooey Deschanel shares pecan pie recipe
And Zooey Deschanel, star of Fox's "New Girl," was on "The Rachael Ray Show" Tuesday. She shared her mom's pecan pie recipe with the audience.
A fan of Christmas movies, Deschanel told Ray her favorite scene in a Christmas movie is the bathroom scene in "Elf," according to examiner.com.
She is also a fan of "It's a Wonderful Life" and "Miracle on 34th Street" and considers Phil Spector's Christmas album as her favorite. It's an album she starts "listening to in July," she tells Ray on the show.
PRALINE SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
1 (40-ounce) can sweet potatoes, drained
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons margarine, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup pecans, chopped
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons margarine, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease shallow 1 1/2-quart casserole. In bowl, mash sweet potatoes; stir in granulated sugar, margarine, vanilla, cinnamon, salt and eggs. Spoon into prepared casserole.
2. Mix topping ingredients; sprinkle on potato mixture. Bake 30 minutes.
ZOOEY DESCHANEL'S PECAN PIE
Serves 8 to 10
1 cup all-purpose flour, plus some for dusting
A pinch of salt
1 stick cold, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
Approximately 1 to 2 tablespoons ice water
1 cup dark Karo syrup
3 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoon flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
A mound of pecan halves, enough to fill the crust
Molasses, for garnish, about 1/4 cup
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. For the pie crust, using a pastry cutter, combine the flour, salt and butter until it looks like a coarse meal. Add the ice water a tablespoon at a time, just enough until the dough comes together. Form into a disk, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Roll disk out into a 1/4-inch-thick circle, transfer to a pie plate and crimp the edges of the crust.
3. For the filling: in a mixing bowl, thoroughly combine the Karo syrup, eggs, butter, flour, salt, brown sugar and vanilla. Fill the crust with pecans to the top and pour the filling over the top of the pecans.
4. Drizzle with molasses. Bake for 15 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue to bake for 40 minutes.
Original Print Headline: Reba shares Thanksgiving recipe
Actress Zooey Deschanel, star of the Fox series "New Girl," shared her mother's recipe for pecan pie. CORY YOUNG / Tulsa World file