Recipe: Cinnamon-honey oat drop cookies
BY ALISON LADMAN Associated Press
Thursday, November 22, 2012
11/22/12 at 3:58 AM
Not hitting the mall on Black Friday? Stay home and bake these cookies with their comforting, holiday flavors of cinnamon and honey.
CINNAMON-HONEY OAT DROP COOKIES
Makes 36 cookies
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
2 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer to beat together the butter, brown sugar, honey and vanilla. With the mixer running, add the eggs, one at a time, scraping the bowl in between additions.
2. Stir in the flour, baking soda, salt and 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon. Stir in the oats.
3. Scoop by the tablespoonful onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving 2 inches between each cookie. Using a slightly moistened hand, flatten the cookies until 1/2 inch thick.
4. In a small bowl, stir together the granulated sugar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. Sprinkle lightly over the top of each cookie.
5. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until no longer glossy and just starting to turn golden brown at the edges. Let cool on the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
Nutrition information per cookie: 140 calories; 50 calories from fat (36 percent of total calories); 6 g fat (3.5 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 35 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrate; 1 g fiber; 11 g sugar; 2 g protein; 70 mg sodium.
Original Print Headline: A chewy oat cookie spiked with honey and cinnamon