Update: Two homes burn in Owasso; 18 displaced
BY KENDRICK MARSHALL World Staff Writer
Monday, December 24, 2012
12/24/12 at 11:05 PM
OWASSO -- At least 18 people were displaced after a fire destroyed a pair of homes Monday night in Owasso.
The fire reportedly began as a chimney fire at one residence and then spread to another home in the 8300 block of North 119th East Avenue just after 6 p.m., Owasso Fire Department Battalion Chief Mike Sole said.
When crews arrived at the scene, flames and smoke already had engulfed the first home, Sole said.
"It was a mess when we got here," he said.
The source of the fire was from a fireplace that spread to the chimney and then to the attic before a stiff northern wind blew flames to the adjacent home.
It is estimated the flames stretched some 20 feet in the air, Sole said.
No injuries were reported as occupants of both houses had evacuated before firefighters arrived.
The American Red Cross assisted residents who have been displaced by the fire.
One of the them, Chelsea Parsons, who rented the home that caught fire, said the family lost many cherished personal items and belongings, including Christmas gifts for her children.
All was not lost, though as several residents in the neighborhood donated checks and cash to the Parsons' after witnessing their home sustain tremendous damage.