LOCAL ROUNDUP: Music events, art opening slated
BY JENNIFER CHANCELLOR World Scene Writer
Thursday, January 03, 2013
1/03/13 at 10:02 AM
It's a new year, so celebrate it by experiencing local musicians and events right here in the Tulsa area. There's plenty to go around and enough to satisfy nearly any preference.
1. Local artist daniel(s) celebrates his first art opening with local rocker And There Stand Empires, 7 p.m. Saturday at Dwelling Spaces, 119 S. Detroit Ave. The event is free and all ages. Music starts at 8 p.m. Showcased art includes paintings, drawings and works on paper.
2. It's a reunion show and local music extravaganza, featuring a get-together of longtime local punkster (back together for one night): the KIDS who never learned how to colour inside of the lines, with bands Spooky Fruit, SPANK, Triple Se7en and Streetlight Hero. That's one heck of a bill, folks. Must be 18 to enter. It all happens 8 p.m. Saturday at The Vanguard, 222 N. Main St. Door is $7, also available in advance at tulsaworld.com/ticketfly. Doors open at 7 p.m.
3. Cue the creepy caterwauls. It's a "Halloween Do-Over" at Soundpony, featuring Lizard Police, Guardant and The Fabulous St. Knicholas Cage, 10 p.m. Friday at 409 N. Main St. Free. The bands are "starting the new year by dressing like absolute idiots again, and we are going to get super rowdy. ... Drag is highly encouraged," said the bands in a Facebook post. There will be profanity and gifts for best costumes. Must be 21.
4. Eclectic '80s nostalgia cover act Plan B brings its A-game to Crow Creek Tavern, 9:30 p.m. Saturday. Why is this news? It's not, really, except for the song list that includes Van Halen, Black Crowes, The Cult, Collective Soul, Foreigner, Golden Earring, Dio, Pink Floyd and more ... and guests that include the OK Biker Babes. ... Fellas. Must be 21, 3534 S. Peoria Ave.
5. The Edge radio station brings back its Homegroan concert series, 8 p.m. Friday at The Vanguard, 222 N. Main St. Bands include AfterMidnight, Kill the Reflection, Fight the Fade and K-Sides Must be 18. Cover is $5, and advance tickets are available at tulsaworld.com/ticketfly. Doors open at 7 p.m.
Original Print Headline: Music & more
Jennifer Chancellor 918-581-8346
It's Halloween all over again Friday night at Soundpony. Associated Press file