Letter to the Editor: Some ideas
BY William Dusenberry, Broken Arrow
Thursday, January 03, 2013
1/03/13 at 3:48 AM
The NRA executive vice president has just proposed that the best way to prevent the slaughter of more first-graders and kindergartners by loonies who currently have easy access to firearms is to have an armed police officer in every school in the U.S.
This "serious" NRA proposal deserves "consideration" for another reason than the NRA's outright attempt to avoid any serious attempt to keep firearms away from gun nuts.
Providing police protection for any area in which children gather (the obvious extension of a "cop in every school" logic) would also necessitate a policeman:
1. On every school bus;
2. In every public playground;
3. In every movie showing kids' films;
4. In kids' sections of public libraries;
5. At kids' summer camps;
6. At kiddie Sunday schools;
7. At all malls (private unarmed guards would not do);
8. At museums that attract kiddies (with their parents);
9. At amusement parks (again, private unarmed guards would not do);
10. At all public lakes and beaches - where kiddies are known to swim;
11. McDonald's (and other fast foods) play areas.
The NRA should agree to use some of its massive profits to, instead of making campaign contributions to Republican Party members, pay for all of this massive increased police protection.
Such an NRA service would solve a good part of our nation's unemployment crisis.
Letters to the editor are encouraged. Send letters to email@example.com.