Severe weather, including small tornado risk, forecast tonight for northeast Oklahoma
BY Staff Reports
Monday, January 28, 2013
1/28/13 at 11:51 AM
The National Weather Service issued a hazardous weather outlook for northeast Oklahoma tonight, warning of a small tornado risk along with potential for severe thunderstorms, high winds and elevated fire danger.
The weather service forecasts an approaching upper trough that will bring spring-like weather conditions to the area. Higher temperatures and winds will cause elevated fire danger throughout most of northeastern Oklahoma.
Thunderstorm chances, including a 40 percent chance in Tulsa overnight and a 60 percent chance before noon Tuesday, are also forecast for the area.
A "non-zero" chance of an isolated tornado is forecast for northeast Oklahoma, but large hail and damaging winds will be the primary threats for the area, according to the weather service. There are no tornado or severe thunderstorm watches or warnings for any Oklahoma counties at this time.
Wind gusts are forecast up to 30 mph today and up to 35 mph Tuesday in Tulsa. New rainfall amounts in Tulsa are expected to be less than 0.1 of an inch with a thunderstorm today, and between 0.5 and 0.75 of an inch Tuesday, the weather service forecasts.
Tulsa is forecast to have its highest temperatures of the year today, with highs in the mid-70s and overnight lows in the mid-60s, according to the weather service. Tulsa's highest temperature so far this year was 70 degrees Jan. 11, while the lowest was 15 degrees Jan. 16.
Not including today, Tulsa has received 0.63 of an inch of rain so far this month, which is 0.80 of an inch below normal rainfall for this time in January.
Tulsa World Weather: A new weather site powered by the Tulsa staff of the National Weather Service. The partnership allows Tulsa World readers to receive weather alerts, forecasts and current conditions as the staff issues them.