Barrelhouse Beat: Fishbone, more top this week's rowdy music lineup
BY JENNIFER CHANCELLOR World Scene Writer
Thursday, January 31, 2013
1/31/13 at 10:54 AM
1. Fishbone! In Tulsa! It's true. Come out and celebrate this influential California rocker - the band that created an influential and a raucous blend of funk, metal, ska and punk. It's a band with a social conscience, too. The Last Slice and Freak Juice also will perform. Doors open 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, showtime 8 p.m. All-ages at The Vanguard, 222 N. Main St. Tickets start at $15, available at the door or in advance at tulsaworld.com/ticketfly
2. Six local bands, five bucks. The penny-pincher shows of late bring a lot to the table - this time, it's Fooster, Radio Nine, Constant, The Djed, After Midnight and Sleepwalking Home. Doors open 7 p.m. Thursday at The Shrine, 112 E. 18th St. Must be 21. Five bucks at the door.
3. Merle Jam brings country classic Merle Haggard and updated Pearl Jam mashups to the Hall of Fame Club at 9 p.m. both Friday and Saturday, 19011 E. Admiral Place, Catoosa. Must be 21.
4. Open Stage with Smitty Jones gives you - yes, you - the mic for 30 minutes on a full indoor stage with PA system. Do what you like, how you like. Reserve a spot (30-minute increments) between 8:15-11:15 p.m. by messaging Jones at facebook.com/openstagetulsa. It all goes down Wednesday at The Yeti (formerly Crystal Pistol), 417 N. Main St. Free. Must be 21.
5. Val Joe & The Strike Anywheres head up the 'pike from Stillwater for a show 8:30 p.m. Thursday at Crow Creek, 3534 S. Peoria Ave. Must be 21. It's a short set, as the guys are sharing open mic night.
Original Print Headline: Rock 'n' roll (and more) all night
Jennifer Chancellor 918-581-8346
Alternative rock act Fishbone will play a show Wednesday at The Vanguard. Courtesy