Miami, Okla., man pleads guilty to threatening to bomb school
BY DAVID HARPER World Staff Writer
Thursday, February 07, 2013
An Ottawa County man pleaded guilty in Tulsa federal court Thursday to threatening to bomb the high school in Miami, Okla.
Bobby Ray Harris, 26, of Miami admitted stating during a phone call Sept. 11 that a bomb had been placed in the school and was set to explode. The threat led to the evacuation of the school as bomb units from the Tulsa Police Department and Oklahoma Highway Patrol investigated, according to an FBI affidavit. No explosive device was found.
Welch State Bank in Miami received a phone call that same morning from a man who said he wanted $3,000 or else he would set off a bomb at the high school, the affidavit says.
Harris was apprehended that day and was indicted Oct. 2 in connection with both crimes.
He confessed to making both calls and told investigators that he had been experiencing financial problems, had been in the military and was “suffering from stress,” the affidavit says.
A court filing by the defense says Harris is an Army veteran who suffered head wounds while serving in Iraq, which left him with post-traumatic stress disorder. His petition to plead guilty states that he also has bipolar disorder and suffers from anxiety and cognitive disorders due to “traumatic brain injury.”
U.S. Chief District Judge Gregory Frizzell is scheduled to sentence Harris, who has been undergoing mental health treatment at the 12&12 rehabilitation center, on May 14.
Bobby Ray Harris