MLB Notebook: Hernandez and Seattle agree on new contract
BY Associated Press
Wednesday, February 13, 2013
2/13/13 at 5:09 AM
Felix Hernandez and Seattle reached agreement Tuesday on a contract that is expected to make the Mariners ace the highest-paid pitcher in baseball.
"I think it's a great thing for the Seattle Mariners," Seattle general manager Jack Zduriencik said. "It's a great thing for Felix Hernandez, and looking forward to this guy being here for a very long time, obviously."
Hernandez's deal is expected to be for $175 million over seven years. Terms of the contract were not released by the team.
Nationals' Gonzalez maintains he hasn't used PEDs: Gio Gonzalez arrived at spring training with the Washington Nationals on Tuesday and maintained he has not used performance-enhancing drugs.
The Miami New Times reported last month that Gonzalez was among a half-dozen major league players listed as receiving PEDs in purported records of Biogenesis of America LLC, a now-closed anti-aging clinic in Coral Gables, Fla. Gonzalez hopes to be exonerated.
"I feel very confident," the 27-year-old left hander said. "I think that at the end of the day I've never taken performance-enhancing drugs, and I never will."
Latos, Reds agree to $11.5M, 2-year deal: Right-hander Mat Latos has agreed to an $11.5 million, two-year contract with the Cincinnati Reds, avoiding what would have been baseball's first salary arbitration hearing of the year.
Latos will receive salaries of $4.25 million this year and $7.25 million in 2014 under Tuesday's deal.
Cincinnati obtained Latos from San Diego before the 2012 season. He solidified a rotation that was one of the NL's best, helping the Reds win the NL Central for the second time in three seasons. Latos went 14-4 with a 3.48 ERA and two complete games in 33 starts.
Arizona SS shut down by elbow injury: Young Didi Gregorius, considered Arizona's shortstop of the future, has a right elbow injury that has prevented him from throwing or batting for the past month.
Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers revealed the injury at a briefing with reporters Tuesday.
He said Gregorius felt discomfort in the elbow while working out a month ago in preparation for the World Baseball Classic.
Towers says that the injury does not require surgery and that Gregorius should be able to begin light throwing and hitting off a tee in a couple of weeks.
Francisco injury leaves Mets' bullpen in flux: Even on the day before their first spring training workout, the New York Mets had bad news.
Closer Frank Francisco is bothered by the same elbow inflammation that ended his 2012 season on Sept. 16.
Mets manager Terry Collins said Tuesday that Bobby Parnell and Brandon Lyon will be given the first chance to take over the closer's job.
Collins said the training staff was prepared for the possibility that Francisco would have inflammation.
Francisco had 23 saves in 26 chances last year in his first season with the Mets. Parnell has 14 in 31 opportunities during his Mets' career.
Rolen chooses not to attend Reds camp: Third baseman Scott Rolen has declined the Cincinnati Reds' offer to attend spring training to compete for a reserve role.
The 37-year-old infielder informed the team on Tuesday that he's keeping his options open, but isn't ready to try to play right now.
The seven-time All-Star has been limited each of the last three seasons by a chronic shoulder problem and back spasms. He batted .245 in 92 games last season with eight homers and 39 RBIs.