Ten local finalists up for Oklahoma Nonprofit Excellence Awards
BY MIKE AVERILL World Staff Writer
Thursday, February 21, 2013
2/21/13 at 3:19 AM
The Oklahoma Center for Nonprofits has announced the finalists for its sixth-annual Oklahoma Nonprofit Excellence Awards.
The awards honor nonprofit organizations for their excellence in eight categories: arts and humanities, community, education, health services, self-sufficiency, seniors, sports and recreation, and youth development.
Local finalists are Tulsa Town Hall, the Oklahoma Center for Community and Justice, Junior Achievement of Oklahoma, Tulsa Educare, the Little Light House, the Oklahoma Caring Foundation, Bridge's Foundation, Saint Simeon's, YWCA Tulsa and the Tulsa Air and Space Museum & Planetarium.
"The impact that these nonprofits have on communities across the state is made through improving the lives of one Oklahoman at a time," said Kathy Potts, board chairwoman for the Oklahoma Center for Nonprofits.
"Whether it is educating our children, taking care of our seniors or helping people recover from illness, these organizations are on the front lines every day, working to make our state a better place to live and thrive."
Winners in each category receive $7,500; the other finalists are awarded $5,000. The overall winner will receive $10,000. A total of $150,000 will be awarded.
Winners will be announced April 20.
The local finalists
Original Print Headline: Finalists named for nonprofit awards
- Tulsa Town Hall has a mission to provide a dynamic speaker series to open minds, stir curiosities and inspire imaginations.
- The Oklahoma Center for Community and Justice is a human relations organization dedicated to fighting bias, bigotry and racism while promoting understanding and respect among all races, religions and cultures through advocacy, conflict resolution and education.
- Junior Achievement of Oklahoma is dedicated to educating students about work readiness, entrepreneurship and financial literacy through experiential, hands-on programs.
- Tulsa Educare is a research-based program with a foundation in the best of early childhood practices that ensure school readiness of children most at risk for school failure.
- The Little Light House's mission is "to glorify God by improving the quality of life for children with special needs, their families, and their communities."
- The Oklahoma Caring Foundation supports programs that provide access to preventive health services.
- Bridge's Foundation works to provide adults with developmental disabilities with vocational training, employment opportunities, education, living skills and community resources.
- Saint Simeon's mission is to be the preferred home for men and women of all faiths who wish to live their later years in an environment with dignity, individuality and independence.
- YWCA Tulsa is dedicated to eliminating racism, empowering women and promoting peace, justice, freedom and dignity.
- The Tulsa Air and Space Museum & Planetarium's mission is to preserve Oklahoma's aerospace heritage and inspire science-based learning through discovery.
Mike Averill 918-581-8489