SAND SPRINGS — A couple is alive after their dog awakened them when a fire that destroyed their home started early Friday.

The fire broke out at a residence at Tanglewood Mobile Home Park in the 18900 block of West Wekiwa Road near 189th West Avenue about 5 a.m., Sand Springs Fire Chief Mike Wood said.

When firefighters arrived, both residents, a man and a woman, were outside. Firefighters spent about 10 minutes getting the flames under control, Wood said.

The fire severely damaged the center portion of the home, with heat and smoke damage throughout. Wood described it as “a total loss.”

Before firefighters arrived, the couple’s small dog had awakened them, enabling them to get out to safety, Wood said. The couple did lose two cats in the fire.

A functioning smoke detector was installed in the home. It appears the dog smelled the smoke before the smoke detector did, Wood said.

“They’re very astute things,” he said. “It’s amazing.”

The man tried to go back inside to rescue the cats, but was unsuccessful. He had singed hair and eyebrows as a result, Wood said.

Firefighters believe a charcoal smoker on the front porch likely caused the fire, Wood said.

Stacy Ryburn 918-581-8300

stacy.ryburn@tulsaworld.com