Wagoner County Tuesday Flood Relief

Coweta emergency service providers check out the rising waters in Coweta Creek, back flowing from the Arkansas River over the low water dam near Highway 72 north of the river bridge. CHRISTY WHEELAND/AMERICAN-TRIBUNE

Torrential rains fell once again in Wagoner County on Wednesday, and Coweta city officials have released a new update on the flooding situation in Coweta.

Coweta Public Information Officer Mandy Vavrinak said as of 4:20 p.m., Coweta Creek has crested and is somewhat dropping. However, if local heavy rains return, the creek may rise/flood again.

"At current levels of release from Oologah Lake and Keystone Lake into the Verdigris and Arkansas Rivers, we expect flooding to remain relatively static," Vavrinak said. "If release levels increase, we may see increased impacts locally."

"With the uncertain weather, people living within two blocks of Coweta Creek on either side between 111th Street South and the Arkansas River are encouraged to consider voluntarily evacuating," Vavrinak said.

Shelter is available at the Coweta Intermediate High School and pets belonging to those seeking shelter with the Red Cross can be accommodated at the Coweta Animal Control facility. Please call the police department's non-emergency number at 918-486-2121 to make arrangements in advance.

To check if you're in a flood zone, use this link: https://msc.fema.gov/portal/search

Vavrinak sand some sandbags are still available at the Wagoner County Fairgorunds, with help to load them into a vehicle.

The Emergency Operations Center at the Wagoner County Emergency Management facility remains active and will continue to be active through the storm/flood even and through assessment and recovery efforts.

Road and bridge closings will be announced at https://ok.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Viewer/index.html

Vavrinak reminds if anyone has experienced damage from May 20 to date from storms or flooding, it needs to be reported. Help may be available, but only for those who report it via the link http://damage.ok.gov. Those without internet access can call 211 to report.

Localized reporting helps determine available federal assistance.

Christy has been covering news and sports in Wagoner County since 1988. She is a graduate of Oklahoma State University with a degree in Public Relations/Journalism. christy.wheeland@wagonercountyat.com