So, how do you like your bagels? New York style, East Coast style, Montreal style, St. Louis style, Chicago style, London style? Did you know they had so many styles?
You like sourdough, rye, pumpernickel, whole wheat, multigrain or yeasted wheat? How about chocolate chip, cinnamon, blueberry, garlic, raisin or the “everything” bagel? With cream cheese or part of a sandwich?
No matter where you live or how you like them, Wednesday, Jan. 15, is the time to celebrate National Bagel Day.
Here are some ways we like them.
Bagel and Cream Cheese Baked French Toast
6 everything bagels
Butter, for greasing the pan
1 8-ounce package cream cheese
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
2 cups whole milk
½ cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon chopped chives, plus more for serving
1 teaspoon dry mustard
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon salt
1. Tear everything bagels in chunks and put them in a large buttered casserole dish.
2. Cut cream cheese into chunks and distribute them all over the top of the bagels. Sprinkle on the grated cheese.
3. Combine the eggs, milk, cream, chives, dry mustard, cayenne and salt into a bowl. Whisk the mixture until combined.
4. Pour it all over the top. Cover the dish with foil and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
5. When you’re ready to bake the casserole, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and bake, covered, for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking for 15 to 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Cool for 15 minutes before serving,
6. Sprinkle chives over each serving to make it extra pretty.
— Recipe from Ree Drummond’s “The Pioneer Woman Cooks: A Year of Holidays”
OLD SCHOOL BAGEL CAFE
3723 S. Peoria Ave., 6805 S. Yale Ave.
An everything bagel is a flavorful pairing with a cowboy club sandwich filling that includes roast beef, turkey, American cheese, lettuce and tomato.
BLUE MOON CAFÉ
3512 S. Peoria Ave.
Try the lox and bagel for breakfast. It features smoked salmon, sliced tomato, red onion, capers and cream cheese, served with a toasted bagel.
Start the day out right with a cinnamon crunch bagel. For those watching those post-holiday calories, have it with reduced-fat hazelnut cream cheese.
EINSTEIN BROS. BAGELS
2660 E. 21st St., 8125 E. 101st St.
The Einstein Bros. Bagels outfit was among the first to come up with bagel sandwiches in the 1990s. Go for the turkey bagel sandwich with turkey, sprouts, spinach, lettuce, tomato, onion, cucumber and onion chive smear on an Asiago bagel.