At 9:45 armed citizens and one guard corporal marched the prisoners which had been held in Convention hall south through town. It was reported the negroes were to be corralled at the Western league park.

A detachment of state troops from Oklahoma City arrived here at 9:30 this morning, two companies of infantry and one machine gun company.

More troops are on the way and officials believe that by noon the situation will be completely in hand.

Adjutant General Charles F. Barrett of Oklahoma is in direct charge of all troops on the ground.

Martial law will not be declared unless absolutely necessary, according to the adjutant general.

The adjutant general, the troops from Oklahoma City and local guard units placed on duty early this morning are working hand in hand.

The first move by the troops, according to General Barrett, will be to disarm most of the disorganized bands of whites who are riding about the city armed to the teeth.

With the appearance of the machine gun company, with guns mounted and bandoliers in position to begin firing on an instant’s notice, the tenor of mob violence which has prevailed for the past 12 hours took on a decided note of calm and armed bodies of volunteers and expectant citizens quickly gave way to the command of the troops.

At the time the troops arrived it was reported that the “black belt” was beyond the power of all human agency to save from flames which bid fair to raze the entire section.

At the same time the negro section was reported destitute of an inhabitant other than a scattered few in hiding which were being routed out in a house-to-house drive by armed white forces.

Convention hall, converted into a prison, is jammed with hundreds of negroes taken captive by volunteer whites. Both city and county jails are full of prisoners.

The rioting followed a movement early in the night of a crowd of 150 white men to take Dick Rowland, negro bootblack charged with assault upon a white girl Monday afternoon from the county jail. Sheriff William McCullough stationed armed guards in the jail and succeeded in cowing the mob temporarily.

More than 500 negroes most of them armed with rifles, revolvers and shotguns gathered at the courthouse at 9 o’clock with the avowed intention of preventing the threatened lynching. Both white and negro officers argued with the two mobs which intermingled at the south and west entrances to the county courthouse. The negroes were finally dispersed but continued to ride about the city in automobiles. The crowd at the courthouse numbering about 200 whites at 10 o’clock refused to disperse on demand of Sheriff McCullough, and for half an hour waited at the south entrance of the courthouse heckling speakers who attempted to disperse them.

Motor cars volunteered

Owners of automobiles volunteered the service of their cars in which from two to seven armed men were placed and ordered to scour the city. In many cases prominent businesses and professional men remained at the wheel and piloted the armed men about the city. The patrols were sent out to prevent any sporadic attack in any part of the city by auto loads of negroes.

Two of the negroes wounded in downtown battles which opened about 10 o’clock were taken to the police station. This early firing began at Sixth street and Boulder avenue and as the three sections of whites went north, on Main street, Boulder avenue and Boston avenue, negroes were driven northward, and three were wounded in pistol-duels before they could escape. The firing continued northward and the negroes made their first stand at Second street and Cincinnati avenue. They remained there for almost an hour when a crowd of armed whites attacked them and drove them across the Frisco tracks. There the negroes made their stand and a mob estimated at 1,000 gathered behind the frame building north of the tracks at Cincinnati avenue and defied the whites. Many shots were exchanged between the belligerents, but no report of fatalities were reported to the police before 3 o’clock.

F.Z. Curry’s son hurt

H.L. Curry, employee of the Pure Oil company, and son of Judge F.Z. Curry, was the victim of a flying shot, which grazed the left side of his neck. The injury was received when he stopped his car at the filling station at Fifth and Boston to obtain some water about 11 o’clock Tuesday night. He heard sounds from around the corner and a group of negroes hurried west on Fifth street. He heard a shot close by, scarcely realizing that it struck him until he felt blood trickling down his neck. He drove at once to the Tulsa hospital, was met by attendants who came quickly down the steps and soon had the slight flesh wound dressed and was in a hospital bed. Curry had a woman companion with him and was starting home after attending the last show at the Orpheum theater. Curry did not think that the shot was aimed at him directly, but may have been fired by the negroes at pursuers or fired wildly. Curry was resting well about midnight.

Taxi driver unscathed

Taxi drivers seemed to ride serenely through the fray. A driver for the Yellow Cab taxicab line said that the negroes did not fire on the taxi, even in the danger zone, though several bullets whizzed perilously near him.

The mob separates

About 10:30 o’clock the mob separated, those at the south of the courthouse running east to Main street and then north. At this time the second half, numbering about 100 men, was gathered at the west entrance and after discussing the matter for a short while, several of the men fired revolvers into the air. This was the signal for general firing at Sixth street and Boulder avenue. At this time a crowd of negroes came north on Boulder avenue and in an exchange of shots a white man and one negro were wounded. Both were taken to the hospital.

The half of the mob which went east on Sixth street went slowly north on Main street, and a group of four who had gone north in the alley pursued an armed negro north. In an exchange of shots at the alley between Main and Boulder on Fourth street a negro was wounded and fell to the street. Another negro was a few minutes later found dead in the alley 100 feet north of the place where the first negro fell. The mob did not apparently know of the presence of the second negro who it is believed was killed by stray shots fired at the wounded negro.

Four negroes chased

Four negroes said to be hiding in the weeds on a vacant lot at Archer and Frisco were the object of pursuit by one group of men. About midnight the white men stationed themselves by the viaduct crossing on North Denver and deflected all cars headed north, while waiting for some of their number to obtain more guns and an armored car.

Several cars of negroes were seen driving furiously on residence districts out from the main thoroughfares as late as midnight. A dash along Main street at midnight revealed the whites in undisputed possession, men striding along the street in pairs and small groups carrying guns and some of the cars in the course of the few blocks were bristling with rifles.

Fighting is hot

One white and one negro were shot at the beginning of the fight at the courthouse when hundreds of shots were fired in the small time of three minutes. Andy Brown, negro, Highland addition, received slight flesh wounds by one of the first shots fired. According to Brown, he had promised to take the negroes who were under his leadership home when some person in the crowd shot him. Immediately afterwards firing commenced in earnest and an unidentified white man was badly wounded by a negro said to be Johnny Cole. Deputy Sheriff McLean tried to disperse a threatening crowd of negroes that had gathered on the west side of the courthouse. Cole is alleged to have raised his gun and tried to shoot the deputy sheriff. McLean quickly knocked the gun to one side just as he fired and the bullet is supposed to have been the one which hit the white man.

When the mob formed shortly after 8 o’clock Sheriff McCullough, who had obtained rumors of the threatened lynching, stationed six guards in the county jail on the top floor of the courthouse and the sheriff himself, with Ira Short, county commissioner-elect, stationed themselves on the first floor and awaited the coming of the mob. Three men, without masks, entered the building and the sheriff without waiting for them to open the conversation immediately told them to get back with the crowd and disperse under penalty of death. The men left and went back with the mob, which deliberated for some time. It was at this time that the armed negroes appeared on the scene and the two mobs mingled. No shots were fired at this time however, and the negroes were quiet, obeying the commands of negro officers led by Barney Cleaver and left. But the white mob failed to leave and hooted commands made by the sheriff and others who spoke to them advising them to leave.

Sapulpa city clerk shot

While A.B. Stick, city clerk of Sapulpa stood on the steps of the Cincinnati entrance to Hotel Tulsa watching the armed crowds, a stray shot entered his back to the left, inflicting what physicians at the Oklahoma hospital say may prove to be a fatal injury. At 1:30 o’clock he was reported to be in a serious condition, and messages had been sent to his people in Sapulpa telling of the shooting. Stick is 29-years-old.

G.T. Prunkard, 34, another Sapulpa man, conductor for the Frisco, was resting in a caboose at Madison and the Frisco tracks, it was reported, when a shot fired by a negro at a boy in the crowd nearby went wild, hitting the conductor. He was wounded in the right shoulder, chin and forehead.

A negro fired at Lee Fisher, 318 ½ East First, a truck driver, while he was standing at the corner of First and Cincinnati, injuring him in the left leg and thigh. Fisher is 21-years-old.

Man hit by negroes’ car

When L.C. Slinkard of West Tulsa, 25, car inspector for the Frisco, was crossing Main Street at the Frisco tracks, a passing car filled with blacks struck him, causing simple fracture and contusions of the middle thigh and left leg.

Robert Palmer of West Tulsa, 23, a laborer and at present unemployed was fired upon while he was waiting for a train to pass at the Frisco tracks and Main street by a negro, and wounded in the left shoulder.

Ed Austin, installer for the Southwestern Bell Telephone company was standing on the south side of a drug store when a shot fired by a negro took effect in his left foot. Austin’s home is 415 South Detroit and he is 20-years-of-age.

E.F. Belshmer, 24, 1437 East Hodge, was shot in the left hand and left leg by a black at the corner of First and Detroit.

Bank office boy shot

Curd Miller, office boy at the First National Bank, was hit in the leg during the first shooting fray at the courthouse. Young Miller, who is 17-years-old, was standing in the crowd when he was struck by a stray bullet. The wound is mostly a flesh wound and will not prove serious.

Complaint was made at The World office at 2 o’clock by former Lieutenant Demerkel that he had been refused arms at the national guard armory when he went there in charge of a squad of eight men to secure arms for the men at the request of Chief Gustafson. A colonel in charge refused them admittance. In the squad were five ex-servicemen, one of whom had seen 28 months service overseas.

The first indication of trouble, so far as appearance were concerned, was given to watchers from the windows of The World office when a negro walked out into the middle of the street in front of the office, carrying a long shotgun loosely under his arm. A knot of blacks, all of them apparently armed, quickly formed about him, and in a few minutes a big car drew up beside them.

“Disarm?” one of them was heard to say, “You bet we won’t disarm.”

In a few moments the car, loaded and with the running boards full of negroes, all of them carrying guns passed by on the way to the county jail. The car was followed within a few moments by car after car loaded with blacks carrying shotguns, pistols and clubs, all headed for the county jail. Groups of negroes were seen running up the street in the direction of the jail.

With the sound of the first shots from up the street, there were answering reports nearer the office and people were seen running wildly in all directions for shelter. Within a few moments Boulder from Fourth street on towards the jail, was clear of all pedestrians; there was a clang and clatter as the ambulance tore along the streets, south and with the comparative quiet following the excitement of the first shooting, little knots of people, apprehensive and on the lookout for a fresh outbreak, began to gather again.

Subscribe to Daily Headlines

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Recommended for you